Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shark Names

Shark Names

So, my husband is crazy obsessed with sharks. He fishes of the beach for them (to tag and release them, NOT to kill.) He's extremely active in oceanic conservation-especially sharks.

We've been putting together our list of baby names, since we're about a year from starting the adoption process. I started thinking about including sharks somehow as a middle name.

So far, all I've come up with is Mako.

What do you guys think? Does it seem more masculine or feminine to you?

Anyone have any other "shark" suggestions or do you guys think this is a ridiculous idea?

Thanks!

I don't think it's necessary to pay tribute to every hobby and interest in your child's name. I really love dogs, but you will not find Labrador or Dachshund on my name list.

Mako is feminine, but then again, I'm familiar with japanese names, so I know it's a girl name (there's even a japanese princess with this name).

And no, sorry, I can't think of any other shark-related names. What about something with ocean feel in general? As in Marina, Cordelia, etc?
    Luna.

Cherished top 10:
    Seraphina, Evangeline, Isabelle, Aurelia, Valentina, Violetta, Rosalind, Vanessa, Catalina, Helena
    Leon, Felix, Gabriel, Magnus, Caspian, Edmund, Cedric, James, Gideon, Francis

Latest crush:
    Leif Ansel | Lucie Angharad

Sharul- apparently this is a male name meaning shark. I can't verify the information to be reliable

Tiburon- of Spanish origin meaning shark

Keto- again, this is unverified information. But apparently this means "sea monster" in Greek. And was a goddess of sharks, whales, etc. in mythology.

Finn could be a reference to sharks

Or any ocean names like the previous posted suggested. A favourite one is Kai. You could also simply use Ocean as a middle name.
    azul liberty • fen lavender • lua saffron • vale ferelith • yael reverie

esker sterling • fen brighton • koa peregrin • march remington

Interestingly, I've met a Mako (male) before - the word is of Maori origin (well, so Wikipedia told me), so it's not an unheard of word where I am in NZ - but still obvious & unusual for a name even here. I would advise against it, as @southern.maple has said - I wouldn't want to push some hobbies into weird/obvious names.

Go for something very subtle! A name you like that happens to hold a small connection that won't be discerned by a passerby - say, hearing 'Anakin' at the local playground - where you wouldn't think twice about hearing a 'Luke'. Above suggestion of Finn is great!

How about Marco? Sounds the same but is a recognised male's name. Or there is the variant - Marcus.
    Ray - As in a sting-ray, cool middle name?

Quite like Marcus Ray... Or Finn Marcus...
    Last edited by katyi; February 16th, 2017 at 07:17 AM. Reason: terrible phrasing
    Felix Cillian | Tadhg Oliver | Casper Hugo | Elliott Grey
    Percy James | Oliver Lorcan | Elijah Hadley | Lachlan Rhys
    Ivy Adair | Maeve Ophelia | Eden Octavia | Eliana Scout
    Talia Florence | Thea Bellamy | Niamh Riley | Iris Elise

I'd put them in the middle as more of a guilty pleasure. Another idea is to include some of the more scientific names (Isurus for Mako, Carcharias for the Great White, etc), but I'd definitely put these in the middle.
    Abram ◊ Arthur ◊ Conrad ◊ Daniel ◊ Dean ◊ Dominic ◊ Isaac ◊ Killian ◊ Sebastian ◊ Seth
    Ada ◊ Elise ◊ Lucia (Why are girl names so difficult )

Guilty Pleasure
    Alaric ◊ Casimir ◊ Gabriel ◊ Ithuriel ◊ Ivo ◊ Ivor ◊ Otto ◊ Rafael ◊ Ronan
    Carmen ◊ Casimira ◊ Elowen ◊ Evelina ◊ Margot ◊ Mira ◊ Mireia ◊ Natalia ◊ Rafaela ◊ Romilly ◊ Saskia ◊ Thalia ◊ Viviana ◊ Zinnia ◊ Zoya

I think as long as they're in the middle they're fine. Your husband would probably be able to come up with many that he likes, if he likes this idea.

Nobody's mentioned Jaws yet.

I think it's kind of sweet you want to pay tribute to your husbands hobby with your child's name, and I think Mako is just subtle enough that it has meaning to you and your husband, but it won't seem painfully obvious to anyone that meets your child. I think Mako could go either way— it's a feminine Japanese name (like Mako Mori, from the movie Pacific Rim), but the O ending for male names is common in the Western world. I also like the idea of finding the scientific names of sharks and deriving the name from one of those.

I love the idea of incorporating a hobby in the name, it's a neat idea.

Shark names:
    Blue - Blue Shark
    Reef - Reef Shark, Blacktip Reef Shark, Caribbean Reef Shark, Gray Reef Shark, Whitetip Reef Shark
    Mako - Mako Shark, Shortfin Mako Shark
    Gray - Gray Reef Shark
    Jackson - Port Jackson Shark
    Thresher - Thresher Shark

Water names:
    Kai
    Marina
    Bay
    Finn
    Maris
    Ray
    Beck
    Marco
    Ocean
    Cordelia
    Bo
    Marlin
    Dylan
    Harbor
    Rio
    Maya
    Isla
    Marin
    Caspian
    River
    Wade
    🌸
    Genevieve Opal | Isabelle Jane | Hazel Kate
    Calla Marigold | Frances Magnolia | Mary Olivia
    Adeline, Amelia, Ava, Caroline, Eleanor, Eliza,
    Elizabeth, Elowen, Esme, Estelle, Georgia, Isla, Laurel,
    Lila, Lillian, Lydia, Rosalie, Ruby, Vera, Willa

⛵️
    Theodore Hart “Theo” | Henry Noble “Hank”
    Jack Arthur | Emory Leo | Otis Reid
    Adler, Arlo, Benjamin, Bennett, Cade, Dean,
    Eli, Elliot, Ezra, Finn, Grant, Harrison, Harvey,
    Howard, Iver, Jude, Julian, Nash, Oliver, Rory

Quote Originally Posted by tamparays8 View Post
    I love the idea of incorporating a hobby in the name, it's a neat idea.
    I agree. People name their children after trees and food (hello - Apple) and other things - giving your child a name reflecting something that you're passionate about is super cute.

Ocean/Water Inspired:
    Azure
    Oceane
    Delta
    Morgan
    Marina
    Coral
    Seaton
    Caspian
    Deniz
    Kai
    Laiken
    Triton
    Zale

You could also find names (some strange, some normal!) in certain genus of sharks:

Carchar (Carcharodon carcharias - Great white shark)
    Isurus (Isurus oxyrinchus - Shortfin mako shark)
    Isodon (Centrophorus isodon - Blackfin gulper shark)
    Deania (Deania calcea - Birdbeak dogfish)
    Isis (Isistius brasiliensis - Cookiecutter shark)
    Tomi (Euprotomicroides zantedeschia - Taillight shark)
    Leola (Aculeola nigra - Hooktooth dogfish)
    Carter (Etmopterus carteri - Cylindrical lanternshark)
    Garrick (Scymnodalatias garricki - Azores dogfish)
    Whitney (Mustelus whitney - Humpback smooth-hound)
    Asteria (Mustelus asterias - Starry smooth-hound)
    Missa. TTC 2018.