Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts on this name please

Hello berries,
    We've been trying for our second baby for a while now, and I can't stop obsessing over names, mainly girls names, as I think we'd find it quite easy to choose a boys name (our front runner is Ronan), but I just love too many girls names to be able to choose just one!! I tend to have a favourite for the month, and then when we don't get pregnant I start second guessing and searching all over again until I come up with a new favourite (hubby thinks I'm mad!).

Anyway, this month, my favourite has been Oriana. It's been on our list for a while, and always a strong contender, but this month I've just totally fallen for it. I absolutely love the meaning (golden dawn, and she'd be very likely to have golden hair!), and also love the nickname Rio which we'd use for it, as well as Ori.

I'd just really like to know what other people think about it? Will it be well received by most people? I know the most important thing is that we love it, and that there isn't a name that absolutely everyone loves, but I'd prefer to give her a name that she gets compliments on, rather than weird looks. I know that the similarity to Ariana might cause some confusion, but we much prefer Oriana and I don't think it'd cause too many problems.

(Sorry for the long rambling just to ask what you think about Oriana!)
    Thank you!
    Last edited by saskhia; February 11th, 2017 at 12:51 AM.
    Mummy to
    Toby Oliver Louis (23/04/2015)
    TTC #2

Girls:
    Alba, Ember, Freya, Inara (Indy), Katara, Kiara, Lyra, Mirabelle, Oriana (Rio), Ostara, Pandora, Tala, Willow, Winter

Boys:
    Archie, Caleb (Cub), Caspian, Edward, Felix, Flynn, George, Harry, Oaken, Remi, Ronan, Rowan

Oriana is lovely indeed - nice meaning and cute nn's you've got picked out. I do think it will get confused with Ariana.... but that's fine. Also makes me think Oreo cookies - not really a bad thing, I can just see that as a silly nickname her friends might call her. (I think Oreos are universal? But if they're not a thing in New Zealand disregard )
    Julianne Aurora {Lia} "mama"

Damien Kenneth {Sept. 2015}
    #2 {Oct. 2017} Vincent Robert or
    Sienna Beth-Anne | Aveline Beth-Anne
    {middles honor family}

Camila Mercedes | Leila Rose | Luz Noelia | Neve Anaïs
    Everett Blake | Justus Elliott | Milo James | Oliver Hugo

Beautiful!

Thanks for the opinions so far, keep them coming please 😊

@jadnf We do have Oreo cookies here, but I think it would make a cute nickname (we might even use it sometimes too)
    Mummy to
    Toby Oliver Louis (23/04/2015)
    TTC #2

Girls:
    Alba, Ember, Freya, Inara (Indy), Katara, Kiara, Lyra, Mirabelle, Oriana (Rio), Ostara, Pandora, Tala, Willow, Winter

Boys:
    Archie, Caleb (Cub), Caspian, Edward, Felix, Flynn, George, Harry, Oaken, Remi, Ronan, Rowan

I personally prefer the 'au' names that mean 'gold': Auriel, and Aurelia/Aurelie. BUT, I do think Oriana would be cute on a little girl. Oreo is a precious nickname, too!!
    Britta | Name Addict
    ♥ auntie to boys Bastion Alexander & Rowan Gabriel

Stella Lucia Fe | Luna Vivianne Elodie | Pippa Helena Rose | Colette Aurelie Faline
    Evie Honora James | Viola Lilith Serafine | Aurora "Rory" Rose Ottilie | Cressida Isolde Iara

Jasper Milo Holland | Jack Atlas Josiah | Lowell Jupiter Felix
    Hugo Emrys Baptiste | Silas Hallow Orion | Judah Willem Cohen