Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Spencer?? For a GIRL???

On a boy, Spencer seems really dorky and old-man like. I couldn't see myself using it at all. On a girl, it feels like a rich girls name. I am aware of the Pretty Little Liars association and maybe that's where the image stems from.

I do really like it and since hearing it and seeing it on another little girl, (at the grocery store) I really feel like it has potential. I have never struck up a relationship with a name so fast. It must mean something.

My question is, is it usable for someone who doesn't spend their weekends at the country tennis club, and would it sound "we really wanted a boy but got a girl" on a middle class family.

I'm not bothered at all by unisex names, I have sisters Archer and Phoenix. (younger by 18 years) It wouldn't stand out or be odd in my family at all.

Honest opinions?

I hate to say it but I immediately think working class when I picture Spencer on a girl. The only time I've met any woman of wealth with a unisex name was if it were her (grand)mother's maiden name and even then it was usually tucked in the middle.

That being said I am not a fan of Spencer, and especially dislike it on a girl.
    Last edited by otri; May 6th, 2016 at 01:21 AM.

thinking about…
    Zora Emmeline Jo

I am not usually a huge fan of unisex names on girls, but I am not particularly bothered by them either. I think they can be cute sometimes. While I probably wouldn't use Spencer on a girl, Pretty Little Liars has really warmed me up to the idea of seeing it on a girl. I wouldn't think twice about meeting a little girl named Spencer, no matter her socioeconomic background.
    Ashley Michelle Anne l Journalist l TTC 2018

Fur mama to Yoncé + Ruth Beagle Ginsburg

Lorelei Sylvie ○ Rosalind Cora ○ Ingrid Molly ○ Sophie Heloise ○ Lucy Genevieve ○ Ruby Annalise ○ Eliza Winter ○ Celia Wednesday ○ Annabel Dorothea ○ Cleo Persephone

Samson Reid ○ Justus Otto ○ Deacon Murray ○ Roscoe Penn ○ Sawyer Gideon ○ Elliot Roux ○ Micah Wesley ○ Percival Jack ○ Judah Montgomery ○ Rowan Theodore

I really don't like it on a girl. I'm not a huge fan of names hoping the gender pond...in this case, Spencer is not a unisex name (neither is Archer, from your example). People just slap it on a child of the opposite gender and call it unisex. Pretty Little Liars has definitely made me warm up to certain names, but I still prefer Spencer on a boy. It does scream, to me, "well...wanted a boy, but we aren't having anymore kids, so we are using it anyway" (which I get from the PLL example too, for some reason).
    Alyssa
    TTC #1...still
    List under construction

Thanks for the replies, i'm still really unsure about it. It strays very far from my usual taste in names. Perhaps paired with a really feminine middle. Definitely something to think about.