Menu

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
    Alessa, how wierd that the girl who painted this picture shared her name with the ghost from Silent Hill. This picture was pretty morbid. It looked to be a picture of Earth from space, but with human body parts sprouting from it in every direction. She had titled it “humanity is Cancer”. What made it even more disturbing was that this piece was part of a display of work by kids ages eight to twelve. So Alessa Donato was a very creepy little girl.

Next name is Katia

Katia

I peered out the airplane window at the vast, empty, cerulean ocean. By now, I was used to the fifteen hour flights back and forth from St. Petersburg to New York City, but this one would be the last for a while. This is it, my last semester of med school at NYU. This time next year I’ll be an intern at a big fancy teaching hospital, and I’ll never have to go back to Russia.
    It’s not that I don’t love St. Petersburg, I really, really do. But my family are so exhausting to be around. I’m never doing enough. It’s always “Kat, that’s not appropriate for a young woman,” or like, Mama’s favorite line this past holiday break, “Katia Zoya Dyachkova, when are you going to find a husband? I would like to be able to meet my grandchildren before I’m ninety!”
    I have always been an over achiever. I graduated high school a year early and got full rides to two schools. I chose NYU because I’d never been to New York City and it seemed like the furthest possible place I could go from St. Petersburg. I’m top of my class. I work hard, and I’ve earned everything for myself, no silver spoons here.
    But Mama, she doesn’t see that. All she notices is that I’m in my twenties and still single. All I want is for my family to notice my accomplishments. I want them to see that I am enough, that a woman can support herself.

Next name: Evangelina
    Halle Isobel, Dove Reilly, Filia Scout, Eloise Ingrid, Shiloh Mathilde, Zuri Fable, Reverie Isla, Maisie Wilder
    Canaan Elijah, Bodhi Fox, Gideon Samuel, Cabot Miles, Shepherd Asa, Rainier Max, Thaddeus Lincoln

“She says her name is Evangelina.” I translated. “That’s a pretty name, but it’s a mouthful. Does she have a nickname?” I signed what the little girl had asked and the blonde next to me signed back enthusiastically. “She likes to be called Lina, what should she call you?”
    “I’m Hannah. Can you ask her if she wants to play?” I grinned and said “I have a better idea. How about I teach you how to ask her yourself?” Hannah’s face lit up at the suggestion. It’s times like this that I really love my job.

Next name is Sigourney.

The woman at the desk looks at her list, then at us again.
    "Which one of you is Sigourney Little?" My sister raises her hand. "That's me." She nods before fixating on me. "And you are here... for emotional support?" I give her a death stare. Sigourney gives her a death stare. The guy next to her gives her a death stare, the woman to her other side snorts. I slightly raise my shirt to reveal the part where we are joined. "I'm here because my sister is."
    The look on her face is priceless. Of course Sigourney is to nervous to properly enjoy it.
    "And your name is...? For the list, I mean." She's awkwardly trying to play it cool, and when she thinks no one's looking, leans forward to get a better look at us, but our shared leg is hidden under a wide skirt.
    "My name is Regine Little, but you don't need to put it down."
    "Oh? Don't the two of you want to become actresses?"
    "No", says Sigourney. "I want to become an actress. My sister doesn't."

next: Morris
    Wanda | 24 | statistics student | I refuse to use my powers wisely
    Rebekka & Zippora & Amos & Bram

for more posts on names, visit Vornamerei