Menu

Page 3 of 1362 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 503 1003 ... LastLast
    Not at all. I don't think parents and childrens names have to match. It's natural for the parents to have different naming preferences than their own parents, so I think it's fine.

Does Susie sound too informal to use as a standalone? I'm really starting to love Susie - I like Susan, but I don't think I love it enough to put it on my list. I know a Susie who is in her fifties and her name is a standalone, but for some reason I think it sounds a little informal or casual even though the Susie I know wears her name very well.
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    Leo Arthur James ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Olympia + Selah + Lyra
    GP Crushes: Ximena + Aster + Lilac + Jacopo + Valerio

@Adelina, no I think Susie is just fine as a full name! I prefer it to Susan anyways, it sounds more modern. Although, it does remind me of Suzy Johnson from Phineas and Ferb who always tries to break up Jeremy and Candace. She's cute though, just a bit evil. I still think Susie is cute.

Which is your favorite middle name out of these: Sadie Rosamund, Sadie Aurelia, or Sadie Lavinia?
    Abby | 20 | Psychology Student | Writer

Dreaming of future littles...
    Maeve, Rowan, Eleni, Cassian, Finley, & Myles

💜

hannahmadison Guest
    @sparkleninja18 Sadie Rosamund. I know they don't sound the same, but Aurelia reminds me of urinal. Maybe the "ur", or the meaning or something. I love Rosemund a lot though.

In the future, would I be able to use Persephone "Percy" and Annabeth together, or would that make it seem like I'm the biggest Percy Jackson fan on Earth?

@hannahmadison I think at the moment they do sound to fangirly together at the moment but in ten or so years time they would be fine.

Are Isobel, Eloise and Eamon too similar for siblings?
    Isobel | Eloise | Matilda | Lucia | Alice | Eleanor | Amelia | Felicity | Phoebe | Eilidh | Rosalia | Zoe | Azalea | Genevieve | Tallulah | Everleigh | Rebecca | Leila | Harper | Grace | Zara |
    ○●○
    Eamon | Hayes | Tiago | Cooper | Lawson | Archer | Lincoln | Asher | Alfie | Baxter | Taylor | Flynn | Lewis | Fletcher | Jack | Harley | Brooklyn | Regan | Oscar | Spencer |
    babynameobsessed.wordpress.com

@emiliana: They aren't too similar, but I would be careful about giving two kids the same initials. They're all lovely names, though.

What do you think of the name Gavriel?
    Keely Joelle/Student of Theatre
    ♥ Robin ♥ Linus ♥ Philip ♥ Stephen ♥ Clark ♥ Conan ♥ Alfred ♥ Arthur ♥ Joel ♥ Joseph ♥ Beckett ♥ Charles ♥ Terence ♥ Dante ♥ Finn ♥ Thomas ♥ Lawrence ♥ Theodore ♥
    ♥ Zelda ♥ Beatrix ♥ Alice ♥ Fiona ♥ Elise ♥ Eliza ♥ Angela ♥ Florence ♥ Nora ♥ Mary ♥

@ksajovie - When I say it out loud, I naturally lean towards a short a in the first syllable with the emphasis being there as well (like in Gavin), so to me it sounds like Gabrielle. If you're thinking of it as a girl's name, I think it could work, as long as you're ok with everyone constantly saying Gabrielle. But as an alternative to a masculine Gabriel, I don't think it works. If you're saying it with a long a like in Gabriel and the emphasis there as well, I think it just looks and sounds like Gabriel trying to be unique.

I love the name Eliza, but prefer the Aliza meaning and history (DH is Jewish and Aliza means joyful in Hebrew). Is Aliza always going to look like a unique spelling of Eliza, even though they're completely different names? What do you think of Aliza in general?
    Adeline | Eliza | Emilia | Hannah | Margot | Tessa

Finn | Luca | Oliver | Thayer | Theo

C.R. - July 2017

I would intuitively pronounce Aliza as uh-LEE-zuh and I think it's pretty, familiar yet exotic. A quick search / referencing points to this being the correct pronunciation (well, at least "lee" vs. "lye"). That said I think you'd get this pronunciation as well as like Eliza with an A.

I think if you are wanting the same overall sound as Eliza (which I find spunky and sturdy) you'll get a little flack about creative spelling and make what otherwise is a fairly simple to pronounce and spell name quite troublesome. If you're saying Aliza like Eliza, I think it makes it more a variation of Eliza than the Hebrew name Aliza. But I could be wrong, it'd be worth researching further to see if you can really make a stand. Either way you would just have to be okay with spelling and pronunciation corrections.

There is also Alisa (ah-LEE-sah), if you are going for the "lee" prn.

Svea -- pronounced SVEH-ah/SVAY-ah, two syllables, not Suh-VAY-ah. Do you think the correct pronunciation is just too tricky for people in the USA / English speakers?
    Last edited by aym; February 9th, 2015 at 05:06 AM.
    Love My Sweet Luella V. 5/14

Honoring: Charles | Ingvald | Nancy | Birgitta | Kerri / Cerys | August | Estlin

If you had asked about Suki/Sukie/Sookie/Sukhi, a year ago I would have been like, yeahhhhh no. But then I watched the entire Gilmore Girls series, and met a girl named Sukhi. I think it is totally usable on it's own! I really like it!

What do you think, Lavender Irie, Lavender Alina, or Lavender Ellen Jane? (Must be L.E.J.Z to avoid bad initials... Ellen for Grandmother, Jane for my mom)

{sleep wake hope and then}
    e.e cummings

TTC Our First
    Hoping on a Rainbow
    —————
    7w6d - 6w - 4w - 12w - 5w
    Patience - Opal - Hope - Haven - Wren
    Always with me.

Lavender Alina is my favourite. Alina is one of those names that I'd forgotten I loved, but have now added back to my list.

I have been considering Odile and Odeline lately, but the "odd" sound is making me reluctant into adding them to my list. Would people take much notice of this in your opinion? Do names beginning in -odd sound silly to you?
    Last edited by adelina_sophia; February 9th, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    Leo Arthur James ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Olympia + Selah + Lyra
    GP Crushes: Ximena + Aster + Lilac + Jacopo + Valerio

I honestly don't really connect the sound with the word in those contexts at all. In any case the word doesn't have really overwhelmingly awful connotations or anything so I wouldn't worry about this

Also, I have been pronouncing those names as OH-deel and OH-dell-ine so I don't hear the odd sound at all

I'd say put them on your list

I've been wondering which is the best option for the nn Frank
    Franklin, Francis, or just plain Frank?
    ~✺~✺~✺~✺~✺~✺~✺~✺~✺~✺~✺~✺~
    Una Rosalie - Alma Onora - Sylvie Badu - Rosa Emmanuelle - Ava Iolanthe
    Lionel Bloom - Bosco Miles - Rhodes Augustus - Conan Mariner - Raglan Philippe
    Maybe: Shem Theodore, Hamish Eliam, Gus Everard, John Emanuel Grier