Page 1 of 1439 1 2 3 11 51 101 501 1001 ... LastLast

Quick Question Thread?!

I'm not sure if this has been done, but I'm sure many of you are like me and have little naming questions that DO NOT need an entire thread, so maybe we could post those here? Just simple, one line sort of questions, no huge lists asking for opinions or combos! One person asks, the next person answers, (feel free to answer previous questions, but always respond to the most recent! Make sure you @ who your response is to!)

First question.....

If a cousin, who I see maybe once a year, (still one of my closest cousins though!), once mentioned using my grandmothers middle name as a middle name for a future child. I can still use it in the middle too right? (Name is Ellen, not terribly unique!) I don't need her permission right?

Ask away berries!

Rough n Tumble
    Lachlan Alexander
    Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Pretty in Pink
    Lavender Irie/Alina/Ellen
    Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Awesome idea! I have this problem ALL THE TIME. Mostly because I kind of already know the answer, but just really need someone anyone to back me up.

I say use Ellen! It's in the middle, it's a common enough name, it's a family name. The only names I consider off limits are the names my sisters have claimed for firsts. Otherwise, all is fair. You do not need permission.

I know Wilhelmina and Luella are stylistically quite different, but I really love Wilhelmina. Is it just too much "L" between the two? Luella is called Lu quite often as well as her full name, and Wilhelmina would likely go by Minna or Willa as well as her full name.
    Last edited by aym; February 6th, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Love My Sweet Luella V. 5/14

Honoring: Charles | Ingvald | Nancy | Birgitta | Kerri / Cerys | August | Estlin

@aym, I think that they are charming together, and Wilhelmina isn't too l heavy to me- it only has one

I think they sound great together and have a similar sort of style in my head

I was wondering how to pronounce Eben, it is like Ethan with a b or like Evan with a b, I feel a bit stupid asking this as it seems clear enough that they don't have to clarify on the name's profile
    Favourites

Catherine Aurelia - Rosa Emmanuelle - Sophia Odette - Alma Onora - Una Rosalie - Sylvie Claire

Tiernan Hugh - Conan Mariner - Alexander Argyle - Raphael Ischa - Ciaran Magnus - Theodore Zooey

Maybe: Zelie Olivia, Alexander Laurel, Eli Verona, Onno Michael

@gr19 - I have always said that one like Evan with a B, e-Ben, almost like you would say Ebony, but I could be wrong, anyone else??

Should my brother and I tell each other our name choices as we will likely both be expecting our first kids around the same time? To avoid overlap and god knows what else happening! I wasn't planning on telling anyone...

Rough n Tumble
    Lachlan Alexander
    Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Pretty in Pink
    Lavender Irie/Alina/Ellen
    Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

@g19 -- Thanks! As far as Eben goes, a quick search shows there's quite a bit of fluctuation between the two obvious pronunciations and I think both are actually legit. I automatically went with Eh-ben, referencing Ebenezer. But it also looks like Ee-ben is correct. Check this out: http://appellationmountain.net/name-of-the-day-eben/

@Kibby -- Hmm. Do you want him to tell you? I think if the answer is yes, then you should also tell him yours. Common courtesy type thing. If you're okay with not knowing his name plans, then I think it will only be prudent if you and your brother wind up pregnant at the same time (well, he won't be but you know what I mean….) then it might be good to as you may be planning to use the same/similar names and it'd suck to be the one going "but I was going to use that...." when they announce their chosen baby name.

If you have a baby and his SO isn't pregnant and doesn't become pregnant during that time, then I think it's okay to keep the names to yourself. However, if the situation is reversed and you're worried they'll choose your name, it might be good to discuss it. Again, comes back to common courtesy stuff.

So yeah, considering there is significant chance you'll use same / similar names, I'd consider talking to him about it to avoid any confusion and frustration and drama. I felt like I just typed in circles, haha. Lucky for me my sisters and I don't have the same name agendas.

I've noticed that a lot of the girl's names I like end in "la" and / or have an "L" presence. Is this too match-y for a sibset? Does it create a theme that will make the other name feel out of place? Ex:

Luella, Viola, Wilhelmina & Henrietta? or Luella, Finola & Henrietta?
    Love My Sweet Luella V. 5/14

Honoring: Charles | Ingvald | Nancy | Birgitta | Kerri / Cerys | August | Estlin