Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Random Medieval names...Thoughts?

I came across some medieval names and their spelling variants. I thought some of the spellings were pleasant aesthetically and might even work today. What are your thoughts and favorites? Have you seen any of them being used or are any of them in your family tree?

Elfleda/Alfreda/Athelflead/Ethelfleada (elf nickname-too Cute?)
    Elfreda/Alfreda,
    Elveva/Elvina/Alveva/Alviva ,
    Frediswitha,
    Gundeline,
    Goditha,
    Godeleva/Godeleve/Godeliva/Godelive,
    Leuruna/Loveruna,
    Langiva (Lan-yeeva?),
    Wulviva/Wulveva,
    Wulvela/Wulvella,
    Wolfleda/Wulfleda,
    Wymarc/Wymarca/Wimarc/Wimarca/Wimarcha

I Think:
    Elfreda isn't bad because Elfie would make an adorable nickname and an easy Halloween costume for the first 3 years of the child's life :-). Elvina blends nicely with Elvira, Enid, Edith and Ethel genre of names. Gundeline seems clunky but somehow? chic and might work with nicknames options like Dellie/Della or Elle and I think Godeleva is nice- not too pretty or frilly and because you can reach Eva or Evie as a nickname/name . Wymarca in this spelling reminds of the perfect hotel name?!
    Last edited by vespertinerose; November 6th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.

I like Wulvella, I think Vella and Vee would make great diminutives. While Wuvella makes a nice unexpected choice to put on the birth certificate, the obvious diminutives make it accessible.

Alfreda/Elfreda is interesting and yes Elfie is cute, but I see Alfred, so I can see how it would be a nice way to honor a grandfather.
    Tcc

Jolyon, I believe, is a medieval spelling of Julian. For a girl, Sybil, Isolde, Muriel and Maude.
    Ella
    Bastian Nilo|Aida Alexandra

I love the idea of the 'Elf' names because of the nn options of Elfie. I absolutely love Elfie, and while I actually think it could work on its own, it's always nice to have a longer, more substantial option for the first name. I agree that Alfreda/Elfreda would be a good option to honor an Alfred in one's family.

Gundeline and Goditha have their own peculiar charm which I'm really liking. They definitely remind me of the classic, heavy German names. I love Wulvella, Wolfleda/Wulfleda, and for some reason I like the look of Wimarc/Wimarca/Wymarca a lot. I definitely think Elvina is usable.

Godeliva/Godelive are super interesting! I'm kind of into them.

Some other interesting medieval names...

Melisende
    Bogdana
    Dionisia
    Rohese/Rohesia
    Helewys
    Avelot
    Elysande
    Ermintrude
    Meraud
    Oriolda
    Jocosa
    Merewen
    Miriela
    Sisse/Sisley/Sissota
    Claribel
    Florymonde
    Honorète
    Leolina
    Sanchia/Sanctia
    Gunnora/Gundrea
    Estrild
    Livilda
    Epicelena
    Celestria
    icon by soaked @ lj.

favorites - girls:

Persephone, Titania, Clementine, Margaret.

favorites - boys:

Loup, Oisin, Henry, Clovis, Gideon.

I like Godelive. Loveruna sounds OK, but starts with 'love'.

I don't like -fred- names. Other names are long, hard to pronounced, Wulviva is simlar to vulva, other are too clunky...

What about Alina, Brunhilde, Viveca, Jessamine, Laurentina,

I like Ermintrude, Florrimonde (this spelling), Gunnilda and Gunnora too! There is something charming about the older names. Wulfleda/Wolfleda are harder to wrap my mind around because I love the boy names Cynewulf and Wolfgang. I love wolf/Wolfie as the nickname of Cynewulf and Wolfgang it just seems all boy, but not so much for Wulfleda /Wolfleda. I guess Fleda or Eda would be the simplest ways to opt for more girly nicknames. I too like Wimarc/Wimarca/Wymarca/Wymarcha, maybe that is why I think it would make a great unexpected middle name option. I general don't like many Names starting with a W.
    Last edited by fourthseason; November 8th, 2014 at 01:29 AM.
    Tcc

I'm not for certain Love as a beginning for a name ruins the deal, after all I've read a few birth announcements with Loveday being a first name as well as a middle. I think it has a unique charm to it. Your right some names are clunky but perhaps that is we're the charms lie. Others are too difficult to pronounce, as you mentioned , and sadly lose their charms quickly because of it. Sometimes I wonder if going back in time, and hearing the names pronounced properly, if that would make a difference, sort of like how a name can sound pretty or ruined coming off a Foreign tongue. Because of that it seems that some of those medieval names can rest in peace.

I'm with you, names starting with a W are not my favorite, but I'll admit that Wulvella has caught my attention, and it's warming on me.

Wow, astonishing, many of the names you listed I've seen, and some I like. I went to school with a Celeste, her mother's name was Fairy. I've recently have been crushing on Ermitrude, Ermie for short, and Frederica, Fritizie for short.

I'm not sure that I would use any of these except as a middle. While I love Athelflead the historical person (Lady of the Mercians, Alfred the Great's daughter), I can't really see using the name today. I would probably go with Alfreda or Mercia as a way to honor. There are some stories that Lady Godiva (Godgifu in Saxon) had a sister Wulviva-- I respect the name but probably wouldn't use it for some of the reasons above and no one would pronounce it correctly.

My other favorites on the list are:

Frediswitha
    Gundeline,
    Goditha,
    Godeleva/Godeleve/Godeliva/Godelive