Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Amelia vs. Emilia

Hi all,

I like both these names a lot but each as some problems that I need to work through. Would love some input if you have some time!

Amelia
    Pros: I like this spelling enough. DH likes it better than with an E. nn Milly
    Cons: association with Amelia Bedilia. I can hear the taunts now. Does anyone else make that immediate association? Pretty common name and I'd like to find something less popular, but I do really like the name so I could get over this issue

Emilia
    Pros: I really like this spelling, nn Emmie or something similar. At least when spelled, no obvious Bedilia issue. Seems a little less popular than with an A.
    Cons: DH does not like the spelling. Obvious reference to region in Italy.

Thanks so much!

I used to prefer Amelia, but the more I see both names, especially side by side, the more I like Emilia. I think I'd go with the E spelling because:

-It's slightly less common
    -Shakespeare cred
    -You can use Milly/Millie and Emmy/Emmie (Emilia nn Milly actually makes more sense than Amelia nn Milly; "mil" vs. "mel")

I think you're going to hear Amelia Bedelia references regardless of which spelling you choose. Which isn't a bad thing; I can't really see kids using it to taunt an Amelia/Emilia. She's a beloved children's character whose only flaw is that she's kind of a ditz. A weak insult at best, and hardly the type of thing to be scarred for life over.
    g w e n

Viola Mireille Sancia Blue Cosima Vale Zara Fionnuala
    Dash Apollo Madoc Orion Mars Auberon Kieran Atlas

Cameron Alastor Wilde ⋆ Emmett Fidelio Scout ⋆ Zeke Borealis
    Isadora Maite ⋆ Coraline Octavia Luna ⋆ Cleo Amara ⋆ Adela Seraphine Lior
    v o t e

Thanks! Good points all. And yes I should have included the Shakespearean reference as a pro for sure. But yeah, the fact that Ameila B. is a bit of an an airhead is somewhat concerning. Boo. . . . But it is a book for preschoolers so hopefully any potential taunting would be limited to the early years.

I prefer Emilia.
    I also really like Amelia but to me they're different names with different pronunciations.
    And while this might not concern you at all, I try to go with the name/spelling that, when used internationally, sounds similar to my own pronunciation. In this case Emilia as Amelia is pronounced differently in most (European/South American) languages.
    I also prefer Emilia because I'm not a fan of the rather intuitive nickname Amy for Amelia- at all.

Born in 1930

Mary Pearline & Robert Ellis

Bonnie Hortensia, Cora Beverly, Ella Marilyn, Libby Loretta, Lydia Jean
    Margie Roberta, Peggy Eleanor, Rose Patricia, Sally Josephine, Sylvia Francine, Willa Judith

Jackie William, Max Gary, Thomas Grover, Freddie Julian, Jimmy Conrad, Bernie Oliver
    Ted Nathaniel, Huey Winford, Gilbert Myron, Louis Everett, Eddie Lionel

old combos and lists
    https://listography.com/vintagenames

Amelia! It is so lovely and classic. I don't get the move to Emilia. And what's do bad about Amelia Bedelia?