Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to honor David?

My husband and I just found out we are having a little boy. We really want to honor my father in law David. So my question is do you think Davin (pronounced like Gavin with a D) is a good choice? My husband hates Dawson so that's out. Also our first sons name is Rhiley Kane and we would like them to sound good together. Thanks

This will probably be a bit out there - but how about Rawiri? It's the Maori version of David, often shortened to Ra. Might be too matchy with Rhiley though, and probably a bit exotic.

Davin is cool though, I could see a lot of mispronouncing as Day-vin though, which if that would bother you how about:

Dewey/Dewi
    Dovid
    Davis
    Daw
    Tavi/Taavi (another exotic one - this is Finnish and Estonian version of David)
    Dai

best of luck!
    My boys
    Felix David Bernard and Hector Leonard Louis

Future name contenders
    Roland Walter William ~ Neville Matthew Gregory ~ Theodore Arthur Sam
    Aurelia Sarah Katharine ~ Gwendolen Linda Rachel

I like...

Davenport. Daven is evidently a Scandinavian form of David. Dav, Daven, Dave, Davy, Davey, Ven, Port, Porter.

What about Rhiley and Davis?

You could also use a name with David's meaning, 'beloved.'

'Jed' is a short version of 'Jedidiah' which means 'beloved of the Lord.' There's also Kevin ('handsome beloved') and Rasmus (Rhiley and Rasmus?)

My Dad's name is Taavi (my grandparents were Estonian). I think it is a great name! I also had a friend who's husband's name is David (and his family is Lithuanian). They considered Taavi as a way to honour David. Though it may not appeal to you if you don't have a connection to that part of the world :smile: