Results 16 to 20 of 34
Thread: Desert Island Discs
November 2nd, 2013 10:52 PM #16
Ugh, this is so hard! Not for lack of loving things, but for lack of loving them so decidedly! I love a lot of music, and a lot of books, but I can't listen to them over and over and over again, or read them over and over and over again. But I'll give it a go.
1. Marching On (by OneRepublic)
2. One Thing (by One Direction. I know, I know, I know! But they're my one GP. And I think this will always be my favorite song of theirs)
3. [More Time] (by NeedtoBREATHE. Seriously, I'm supposed to choose? I could have made this whole list full of NeedtoBREATHE. Le sigh. This was the only one I could think of, and I loved P.S. I Love You... I love about 20 others, too, though...)
4. Worn (by Tenth Avenue North. Not a lifetime favorite or anything, but I've really been loving it lately...)
5. A Drop in the Ocean (by Ron Pope. I discovered it one summer and played it probably a thousand times that summer. Still stinkin' love it.)
6. Fight (by Lee Dewyze)
7. I Want Crazy (by Hunter Hayes)
8. Home Home Home (by Philip Phillips)
Hardly a genuine representation of my taste in music, but meh. I could have done much better if I could have picked artists rather than songs.
Book: The Chronicles of Narnia (that counts as a book, yes? ) Or The Importance of Being Earnest. Or The Scarlet Pimpernel. Or the O'Malley series, by Dee Henderson. Or Flee the Night, by Susan May Warren. Or My Foolish Heart, by Susan May Warren... Or any book by Julie Klassen... Or... crap. It should have been 8 books and 1 song, not the other way around... I think I'd go with My Foolish Heart... Love Susan May Warren.
Luxury item: My one true love. Does that count? And I feel silly calling him a luxury item. I haven't even found him yet, but I'd rather have nothing but a book, my Bible, Shakespeare, 8 songs, and my true love than any other luxury item out there. If not, then a very, very durable laptop with wifi. So I can write to pass the time, and potentially even get them published one day...Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller
List under major construction. Thinking about today:
Isabelle Aurora Grace ▪ Zane Alexander Caspian ▪ Genevieve Sofia Esme ▪ Everett Joshua Charles
Casper Nathaniel Eden ▪ Eleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena" ▪ Samson Adler Jack ▪ Poppy Éliane Clementina
Thomas Benjamin ▪ Alice Clementine ▪ Ian Mariner ▪ Amelia Winter
Claire Juniper ▪ Desmond Joshua ▪ Hazel Isabella ▪ Ezra Borealis
I'm writing a story--join me! here
November 3rd, 2013 02:29 AM #18
@sessha - we call our bed Cloud Bed, too!
@ottilie - I love Winter! This is the song that I have always held dear to my heart because it makes me think of my dad (and now he cries when I sing it for him, awww)
"Exactly" by Amy Steinberg to remind me to be present and love my life
"Shake It Out" by Florence + The Machine to remind me to stay positive and keep dancing no matter how bad things seem
"Why Walk When You Can Fly" by Mary Chapin Carpenter to remind me to always strive to be extraordinary
"Like A Prayer" by Madonna - one of the most perfect songs in existence and I'll need something to dance to!
"Such Great Heights" by The Postal Service - Another great dance song that always makes me happy
"The Highwayman" by Loreena McKennitt - of of my favorite poems set to gorgeous music
"Take This Waltz" by Leonard Cohen - Gosh, how can I pick just one Leonard Cohen song? But I guess this one is my favorite
"Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn - one of my favorite songs
Book: Dangit, that is a hard choice... I have never read the Mahabharata, but I want to, so that's what I'd choose.
Luxury item: I have to agree with Sessha - CLOUDBED!Sequoia Orion born November 2014
Considerations for our next child's name: Cytheria, Caspian, Seraphina, Cyrus, Arcadia, Venture
Middles: Beatrix, Dwyn, Jupiter, Violet, Zephyr, River, Willow
November 3rd, 2013 07:13 AM #20~Boys~
★ August Eli Benedict ★ Bram ★ Casimir Mordecai ★ Edmond John Meirion ★ Gillon ★
★ Jory Leander ★ Julian Charles ★ Macsen ★ Magnus ★ Vasiliy ★
★ Aira Rose ★ Arietta ★ Clover ★ Delphina ★ Eleni ★ Fiorella ★ Hester Isobel ★
★ Iris ★ Lilah ★ Merit ★ Sylvia ★
Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.
November 3rd, 2013 11:59 AM #22⋆ Margaret Mary ⋆
Elisabeth Mary ⋆ Josephine Sarah ⋆ Iris Christabel ⋆ Beatrice Helena ⋆ Harriet Cordelia
Asher Benedict ⋆ Jude Raphael ⋆ Gabriel John ⋆ August Samuel ⋆ Joah Francis
Delyth ⋆ Enfys ⋆ Gwennan ⋆ Meirionwen ⋆ Rhoswen
Arwel ⋆ Elis ⋆ Emyr ⋆ Rhys ⋆ Selwyn
Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
November 3rd, 2013 03:32 PM #24
You all have have such good and interesting answers. This is seriously tough though.
1. Human of the Year by Regina Spektor. Arguably the song containing Regina's best vocals. Will always be my favourite song in the world, nothing can change that.
2. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush. Well, Wuthering Heights is my absolute favourite book and a very few people can beat Kate Bush in impressive vocals.
3. l'Hymne à l'Amour by Édith Piaf. This song never fails to make me cry. It's is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and you can just feel Édith's pain in every word of it.
4. Immigrant Song by Karen O, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. I love the original, but I hold a slight preference to this phenomenal cover.
5. Jóga by Björk. My favourite Björk song. It's a hauntingly beautiful song and Björk at her finest.
6. Speechless by Lady Gaga. When I encounter people who claim that Gaga can't sing, I always tell them to listen to a live version of Speechless, then look me in the eyes and tell me once more that she can't sing (= isn't possible). Gaga has meant a lot to me over a long period of time. I have seen her live twice and each time she has managed to make me cry heaps. This song is so emotional and different from all of her other songs. I love it.
7. The Party by Regina Spektor. I couldn't resist putting two Regina songs on here. Although I don't think that What We Saw From The Cheap Seats was as insanely brilliant as Far, Begin to Hope and Soviet Kitsch are, this song is just so beautiful and has won my heart completely.
8. Winter Song by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson. Probably my favourite collaboration of all time. I love both Sara and Ingrid and this is such a cosy song which has such a strong Christmas feel to it. And I really love Christmas.
Book: Wuthering Heights. However, if you are allowed to bring all seven Harry Potter books (maybe in a huge compiled form, eh?), that will be my choice because I'll never get tired of the way Jo can grab and enchant you with her words.
Luxury Item: My beloved Macbook with either Wi-Fi or one of those portable internet things.
Last edited by shvibziks; November 3rd, 2013 at 08:08 PM.Henry Ásgeirr Lórien • Alexander Adelin Pemba "Sasha" • Aksel Atticus Ivik • Oscar Edmund Igaluk
Nor Valdemar Oisín • Asa Bjørnstjerne Dante • Marcel Endymion Theo • Vincent Akiva Lysander
Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Asta Ivalo Galadriel • Aviaaja Catherine Françoise "Avi" • Evelyn Brontë Cleopatra "Evie"
Olga Alvaret Lúthien • Noor Dagmar Evangeline • Edith Faraday Thérèse "Edie" • Eleonora Gry Patricia "Ellen"