Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on Aletta

First impressions? Thoughts? Does your mind automatically go "and a number" after you hear it? My hubby's mind does. :P He and I both really like the name but I have to convince him people won't make "letter" themed jokes about her her whole life...
    Speculative fiction writer and mother to Charles Theophilus (2.5 years), Corinna Melisande -- nicknamed Cora (13 months), and the Tiny Girl (due Feb. 2014). Lover of studious, ancient boy names and sweet, intelligent girl names with a touch of fairy-tale beauty.

I think Aletta is lovely! It feels like a dainty little bird to me--that's the only thing I think of. The "letter" thing never crossed my mind, but then again, I live in America where most people pronounce the "R"s at the end of their words, so it might be more of a problem in the UK and Australia. I think it's beautiful, though! If the sound is a problem, what about just Alette? I think it's equally beautiful. It sort of seems like a contraction of Alouette.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Thanks, ash! I live in America too, but in New England, where Boston accents are common (R's are heavily dropped with a strong Boston accent!). Alette is pretty but seems too choppy with our last name, I think. Stylistically I really like Aletta with our older kids' names.
    Speculative fiction writer and mother to Charles Theophilus (2.5 years), Corinna Melisande -- nicknamed Cora (13 months), and the Tiny Girl (due Feb. 2014). Lover of studious, ancient boy names and sweet, intelligent girl names with a touch of fairy-tale beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by trustedwriter View Post
    Thanks, ash! I live in America too, but in New England, where Boston accents are common (R's are heavily dropped with a strong Boston accent!). Alette is pretty but seems too choppy with our last name, I think. Stylistically I really like Aletta with our older kids' names.
    I could see that with a Boston accent! I vacationed with my family in Boston this summer; I was sad I didn't really get to hear a Boston accent. I heard a couple, but no really strong ones. haha. I have a thing for accents! I agree, though--I like Aletta much more with Charles and Corinna, too. If you got too many concerns about it, she could go by Etta, Lettie, or Allie? It would be a shame to always have to shorten it, though.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I like Aletta, it's kind of light and lyrical. Reminds me of Allegra, Musetta...