Menu

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25

Thread: Mad Scribblers

Hey ferix08,

I don't think that's ever happened to me. I remember when I was in college and had a lot of coursework, I would have so many ideas for stories but not enough time to write them (ironically I have a lot of time now but I don't write as often as I can :/). To be honest, being restricted with what to write about and how to write it only made me want to write what I wanted the way I wanted to, not having to worry about someone else's expectations except mine. I think that's why I enjoy writing so much.

I'm sorry that school ruined your desire to write. Isn't there a way where you can start writing, just a little bit, without tying it to all the negative associations you have? Maybe a short scene about something you find interesting, writing it in a way you're comfortable with?

Have you read anything by Emily Dickinson? She was a poet who write in a very unconventional style during her time. You may enjoy her work

As for reading, when I became more serious in my writing I used to analyze every book I read which drove me a little mad. I wanted to enjoy what I was reading but I couldn't help studying the way a book was written, all the little details I would have trouble or was confused about doing myself, and for a time that took the joy out of reading. Not anymore, though.

Hey weaverblue,

Thanks for your response!

I went through the same thing with reading! What I described about writing is basically that but the writing version aha. I'm glad you don't do that anymore. Reading actual stories helped me get out of that habit, like rn I'm reading The Alchemist and I feel so chill about it because it's just a story. Rather than looking for all the ways in which it's 'clever' I can just enjoy reading a good story :-)

Actually, recently I've been writing more. It's taken me a very long time to start believing in myself and my abilities, but these days I'm so much better at it. I think reading would scare me away because I would compare myself and feel inferior and then school would emphasise this feeling. Then I would feel to afraid to write because 'who the hell was I kidding that I could ever write anything good enough', you know? With time and age, I have been exploring myself and growing a lot, questioning all those ideas and concepts that I was ever taught, and it seems to finally be freeing me from the grasp that it always had on me.

It's still an effort and i'm still working on it, but I actually did some article writing recently and that was something I'd never really done before, let alone actually enjoyed!

My goal is to slowly start coming closer to the idea of writing a story I've had ideas about for for a while now.

Any tips? :-)

P.s. I'll be sure to look into Emily Dickinson's works, thanks for the recommendation
    Last edited by ferix08; December 2nd, 2019 at 06:42 AM.

I read The Alchemist years ago and it is a good story

I know that feeling of writing something and feeling it’s not good enough. I had that feeling just a couple of days ago with a chapter I was writing. It can be discouraging but I keep telling myself it’s just a first draft. Anything can be fixed and revised when you write it down; not so much when you don’t. So I just keep pushing myself to do it and that helps me finish the end of a chapter or a scene.

You should keep notes of the ideas you have. That’s what I usually do because if I don’t I won’t remember it later. Ideas aren’t set in stone for me; usually they tend to change as I’m working on it, but at least I have something to work from, to refresh my memory from time to time. So yeah, write down everything you have just in case you need it later.

That's amazing, definitely something I'm working towards :-)

Thank you for your advice. Funnily enough I thought about that recently and wrote down an idea I had because of forgetting one a while ago.

At the moment my characters and their relationships with one another for the story I want to write are pretty solid. Only problem now is the story! Have you ever had this issue?

[FONT=Georgia]I don't know if I've ever had that issue. When I create a character they usually come with a story to go along with it, and it just goes from there. I remember reading years ago that a story is driven by conflict so ask yourself what kind of conflict does your main character (or main characters) face. Is it internal (a weakness they must overcome in themselves), or external (something they face from others). If you can find a conflict for your characters to overcome, than I think you've found your story. Of course, there's also the type of genre you're writing in to consider- fantasy, mystery, science-fiction, literary fiction, etc...

Umm, I don't know how helpful that was but I hope it gave you something to think about.[/FONT]

Thanks again, that was really helpful!