Thread: Song Challenge

Song Challenge

I'm not sure if this has been done before (forgive me, if so!), but I thought it might be fun! My idea is that we list a few of our favorite songs- however many you'd like- and we can take some time to listen to the songs others list. I feel like it is a great way to get to know people and learn other points of view. If you'd like, you can include a bit of why the songs mean something to you. Feel free to play along

Some of mine:

Bitter by Any Mineo
    White Houses by Vanessa Carlton
    Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
    Everything Good by Ashes Remain
    What If by Five for Fighting
    In a Real Love by Phil Vassar
    Unwell by Matchbox 20
    100 Years by Five for Fighting
    I'm Still Here from the Treasure Planet movie
    Hard to Say I'm Sorry by Chicago
    Alyssa
    06/2015, forever with my best friend <3 TTC #1

Future little guys:
    Callum Benedict * Dawson James * Timothy Powell * Josiah Moore * Cove Benedict

Future little ladies:
    Ada Rosemary * Eleanor June * Clover Ellis *Alena Caroline * Seraphina Juliette * Claire Annunziata * Kate Margot

I also love Unwell by Matchbox 20! This is a really cool idea!

Mine are:

Lucky - Britney Spears
    Sometimes - Britney Spears
    Autumn Goodbye - Britney Spears
    Oops I Did it Again - Britney Spears
    Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
    Growing up, I was a huge Britney Spears fan and I wanted to be just like her. I admired her so much as a child, and my parents somewhat fed this admiration by constantly buying me her CDs, a Britney Spears barbie (the Oops I Did It Again doll, complete with a microphone headset), and other things. Once i turned about 7 or 8, I was kind of a lonely kid in school for the majority of the time (i had friends, but none who wanted to be around me when i was getting bullied or picked on) and music was what helped me, especially Britney Spears, Simple Plan and Hilary Duff. I still listen to Britney on a regular basis and my favourite songs from childhood are my favourites of hers today.

Truly Madly Deeply - Savage Garden
    This is another from my childhood, though I was much younger when this came out (3 I think?) I don't remember loving it as a child, but since I've always been a big fan of everything 90s and the majority of romantic movies and songs, I quickly fell in love with this one. S/O and I actually considered it as a wedding song, as we both grew up with i (he was 8 when it came out) and love it today. It's such a meaningful, romantic choice, I can't help but adore it.

Hanging by a Moment - Lifehouse
    Growing up, Lifehouse was always a favourite band of mine (as well as The Calling - Wherever You Will Go is still a favoueite of mine!) and Hanging by a Moment was always the song of theirs that stood the test of time for me. S/O and I are actually planning on using this as our wedding song (as far as I know) as it perfectly describes the beginning of our relationship for both of us. Neither of us had been in a solid relationship in years, and neither of us had ever fallen in love with someone so quickly before. We really didn't know what we were diving into (as the song says) - I certainly didn't expect to even have a boyfriend by our third date, and he had never considered marriage or thought much about his future before meeting me, so it was pretty new for both of us!

Closer - The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey
    I've loved this song since it came out, even though it's totally not my usual style. S/O never used to like it all that much, but the more I listened to it, the more it grew on him. It sort of became "our song" - whenever it comes on when we're together, we end up singing it to each other.

Drowning - Backstreet Boys
    Another one that is kind of soppy - I have always, ALWAYS, admired the Backstreet Boys, lol. Drowning wasn't a #1 favourite of mine growing up, but I always loved how romantic it sounded. When S/O and I first got engaged, I ended up rediscovering this one, and it reminds me a lot about my feelings towards him.

Don't Let Me Get Me - P!nk
    I've struggled with anxiety and low self-esteem for most of my life, and used to have days that were so bad, I couldn't look at myself in a mirror without bursting into tears because of how unhappy I was with myself. I essentially hated myself. This song (and Perfect - P!nk) has always resonated with me, it's very relatable for anyone who's been in a constant battle against themselves, especially with the line "I'm my own worst enemy". It helped me cope a lot, to be honest.
    Bent - Matchbox 20
    Another song that I used to cope when I was growing up, I've loved Bent since I was really young (4 I think?), as my dad was a huge fan of Matchbox 20 as well. It didn't have any personal meaning to me though until my late teens (and even now). The lyrics are so relatable to me ("Can you help me? I'm bent, I'm so scared that I'll never get put back together"), and my fears about how my past could affect my future, especially with a partner. A lot of Matchbox 20 lyrics are highly relatable though, I find. Another one for me is from If You're Gone - "there's an awful lot of breathing room, but I can hardly move" - it's so powerful, I love it.

Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
    Another with relatable lyrics, Runaway Train is a sign of my dad's influence on my music tastes as a child. I've loved it forever, but again, the lyrics didn't mean anything to me until i was older and struggling. A lot of the lines reflected how I felt at one point in my life, and because of that, it has a lot of meaning for me. It's also beautifully written.

Lightning Crashes - Live
    Though this one's not relatable for me at all, I really love the lyrics and meaning behind the song. The symbolism of this one is rather beautiful (in a haunting kind of way), and I love it. It's a bit hard to explain entirely, vut it mostly plays on the ending of one life and the starting of another. It's rather interesting

Big Girls Don't Cry - Fergie
    While the majority of the song isnt something I can personally connect with, I often used to listen to this when I was struggling as well, as a reminded to keep being strong. It worked, and I still use it when I need those little hints for myself.

Songs I don't have a reason behind loving:
    I Don't Wanna Live Forever - Zayn ft. Taylor Swift
    Fergalicious - Fergie
    Smack That - Akon ft. Eminem
    Lady Marmalade - Christina Aguilera, P!nk, Mya, and Lil Kim
    dreaming of a little Kennedy Juliette or Aaron Jacob one day...
    other favourites...

Makenzie / Jayla / Cambrie / Addison / Brooklyn / Gracelyn / Savannah / Skylar / Taylor / Kaleigha
    Hunter / Camden / Brayden / Parker / Sawyer / Aiden / Mason / Ethan / Landon / Chandler