Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Names + Gender

Names + Gender

Hey!

I'm not really sure how to start this thread, but I was mainly wondering about people in the nameberry community and their relationship with gender. I don't think that gender is a subject that is talked about enough, and I thought it would be cool to start a conversation about it so that people can share their experiences. Even though this website is mostly dedicated to names, I do think that names and gender are something that are connected. So if anyone is willing to share more about their relationship with gender and how that is apart of their lives, that would be super cool.

Thank you.
    - Alexis -
    17 | INTJ | Queer

Adeline Clover - Brynn Ariadne - Juniper Esme - Genevieve Skye
    Juliet Fable - Georgina Maeve - Celia Victoire - Adela Moon

Jasper Frost - Kai Benjamin - Finley Hawthorne - James Archer
    Blaise Orion - Dashiell Fox - Lucian Birch - Everett Grey

I really don't appreciate how gendered things are. Especially toys and clothes, and how they reinforce gender roles in children. I have a nephew, and I go shopping with my sister sometimes. It's crazy how she refuses to buy anything pink for him. Or even if something looks 'too girly'. My nephew loves to play with dolls and pretend to feed it and change its diaper. At first, my brother-in-law was super against it, but eventually realized it might be a good thing. Teaches him how to be nice and gentle (he has issues with hitting us and throwing things at us).

And don't get me started on gendered bathrooms. As a pretty androgynous, gender non-conforming individual who crossdresses sometimes... bathrooms are a ''damned if I do, damned if I don't'' situation for me, regardless if I use the men's or women's. Luckily, my college is considering implementing a gender-neutral facility on campus - something I suggested. and they might follow through!!

Also, speaking of names and gender, is it no coincidence that this site's userbase is like 99% female, except for me and a few other people?
    Last edited by pterodactyl; July 11th, 2016 at 02:47 PM.
    Ben
    ✈ airplanes and writing ✎

Ty Benjamin | Serena Estelle
    River Augustus | Soleil Veronique
    Leander Pierce | Zara Bee
    Sebastien Louis | Augusta Wren

[double post ~ don't mind me]
    Last edited by pterodactyl; July 11th, 2016 at 02:44 PM.
    Ben
    ✈ airplanes and writing ✎

Ty Benjamin | Serena Estelle
    River Augustus | Soleil Veronique
    Leander Pierce | Zara Bee
    Sebastien Louis | Augusta Wren

I think gender is a very important and very interesting topic. But I'm not sure what to say about it randomly like this...

When I started thinking about having children, I decided I didn't want to raise my children with specific, traditional gender roles. I talked to my husband about it and he wasn't to keen, but when I explained it better he agreed. We chose gender neutral colours for our nursery and other baby stuff. Gabriel has some pink clothes. I'll never, not in a million years, tell him he can't do something because it's too girly. If he wants to play with dolls, that's fine. If he just wants toy cars, that's also fine.
    Gabriel Marcellus
    04/2016

Magdalene Pearl * Olive Rebecca * Agatha Lucette * Tove Magnolia * Esther Marguerite * Eugenia Pernille * Emilia Constance * Clarisse Jacobina * Agnes Eurydice

Simon Adonais * Felix Augustine * Peter Caius * Linus Jacoby * Alexander Enoch * Gustav Johannes * Andreas Llyr * David Eugene * Emile Jerome * Edmund Ulysses

Barbara * Etta * Lola * Odilia * Elfie * Clementine * Salka
    Merlin * Thure * Stephen * Kjartan * Abbott * Ari * Moss

I think this topic has been covered quite a few times on here and is actually getting a lot of news coverage. Moreso than usual. I will keep my actual, true feelings to myself, but I will say that sometimes, mountains are made out of molehills. There is no one to stop you if you want to buy pink clothes or a dress if you are a guy, or whatever the opposite would be considered if you are a girl. You can make yourself what you want. You can choose what path you want. It's about choosing to ignore if someone does give you issues and not go on a war path. Rise above it and move on. Depending on what your views are, we live in such a "free" society today...

My experience? I grew up with six siblings and was born a few years after my brother. I grew up with mainly female cousins. My family never fussed about "gender roles". I got to wear "boy" jeans, my brother got dolls, we all played with Barbies, Cabbage Patch dolls, kitchen sets, Power Rangers, wrestling action figures, and tossed the football around constantly. Both genders helped in the kitchen and there wasn't a "don't say that, that isn't lady-like"...there was "you don't speak like a hoodlum...you show some respect!". Growing up, no one made a huge deal about it...then again, there wasn't social media were people could show off how "progressive" they were in their parenting. As far as how we think we will parent, that is more or less our business, but it'll be roughly along the same lines as how I was brought up. If my daughter wants a Tonka truck and is behaving, then she'll likely get it. If my boy wants dress up clothes and is behaving, he'll likely get them. Both will learn how to cook and clean. Both will be out with my husband and I doing yard work. It isn't a big deal at all.

To tie this back to names, I'm not ashamed to say that, when I see a name, I'd like to be able to tell what the gender of the person is.