Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I always attempt to say everything in an English accent, anyway.

I like Lena best, too. Lena Porter sounds fab, as does Eleanor Porter, and Lena feels unexpected yet feminine; sweet but strong. She has backbone, but she's super sweet and girly. I think it's great. I've thought of trying to get away with being Ashley "Lena", too (which is a much larger stretch, but one of my former bosses used to call me Ashelina all the time, haha, so I figure maybe I could get away with it).

I don't know; there's just something about Lana Porter when I try and say it with an English accent. It doesn't sound as fluid as Ellia, Lena, or Leah. I really don't find Leah that much of a stretch--I find Ellia more of a stretch than Leah. You're just adding an "H" and pronouncing it differently--not that much different from an Evelyn (EV-eh-lin/EV-lin) going by Evie (EE-vee). I think Elle, Laney/Lane (I've heard of an Eleanor nn Laney, although it does seem a bit of a stretch), Elina (if you can get Ellie, Lena, and Ellia, why not Elina?), Eleni (eh-LEN-ee), Leni (LEN-ee), Nora, Norrie (I never really appreciated it until I saw a cute-as-a-button teenage Eleanor nn Norrie on a TV show I've been watching this summer! Nell could work, too. But besides Ella, Lena is by far my favorite nn for Eleanor; I think it's smashing. I would love to meet an Eleanor Porter nn Lena!

Do any of these suit you more than others? I feel like since you feel like you're not an Ellie or a Eleanor, then you should 1, go for something you love, and 2, go for something that suits you. When I had considered changing my name to Eleanor a year or two ago, I loved that the full name suited me, but no matter how much I adored the nn Ella, I knew it didn't suit me, so I kept looking for a nn that I felt suited me more (which I found in Lena). How would people say Lena in Britain? Here it's pretty universally said as Lee-nah--at least, in my experience--but I suppose it could be different there?

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

From your list, I like Lena best. I also thought the suggestions of Elle and Nell were wonderful.

From your list, I really really like Lena. But I also really like the suggestion of Nell. But it's all really up to, will you respond to the name if you are called it.
    Astrid Harley Scarlett is here! Born 3/7.