Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

honoring Grandpa

My husband recently shared that the only man in his family he would consider as a namesake is his Grandpa whose name was Kenneth Hugh. We both distinctly dislike Kenneth, however the meaning of firery appeals. The only other name I know with a similar meaning is Aidan, which I do not favor. Any thoughts. We are thinking of firey in the sense of how fire purifies metal, a strong flame that refines character vs. angry/quick tempered.
    Hugh makes me think of Hughey Dewey and Louie from duck tales.
    Children are all perfectly and wonderfully made

Names we would consider

Elisabetta, Magdalena, Caralana, Elisende/a, Valencia, Snow

Duck Tales was a long time ago, unless Disney had a remake I wasn't aware of I (speaking for just me) wouldn't make an association like that.
    When I think of Hugh I actually think of Hugh Grant or Hugh Laurie (from house)
    I think it is a nice strong masculine name.

Kenneth means 'born of fire or handsome'. If the you can't find an appealing name meaning 'fire' there's always Beau as a back up plan.

Congratulations and best of luck in your search!

Haha, Hughey, Dewey, and Lewey. I love Hugh, and not once had that crossed my mind! I think more of a rugged Scotsman with a pretty awesome brogue to boot! I do like the variant Hugo more, maybe use that, or use it as a middle? Or even Aidan as a middle?

This is a HUGE stretch (so probably just ignore it, haha), but I think of the Bible verses about fire refining a person's character, and if your family is Christian, maybe take inspiration from the writer of some of those words? Otherwise, I think Hugh/Hugo (or the PP's suggestion of Beau) is your best bet.

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

This might sound totally stupid, but my first thought when I read Kenneth Hugh was Keanu. If Grandpa Kenneth doesn't have the same surname as your husband, you might could consider his surname as well. I also like the suggestion of Hugo.

I like the name Hugh. You don't see it on a lot of lists, but it is traditional & strong. Good luck!