Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unrelated to names, but related to writing.

How do you form and develop your characters? I normally take bits and pieces from people I know, but that method feels a bit...amateur.

How do you writers add quirks and bring your characters to life?
    Nathaniel . Eden | Alessandra . Noel

Like you, I take bites and pieces from people I know. It is usally just a trait or habit they have. I work with a girl who is always late for work. So I'll use that on a character. I use traits from characters I see on t.v. too. I tend to jump all over the place when I develop characters. Sometimes I come across a cool name and build the character around that name. Often I come across a photo of an actor or actress online and I build the character around the photo. I find it's easier to build the character if I can put a face to them. Just because your character looks like Tom Cruise (for example) doesn't mean you're giving your character all of Tom's personality or basing your character off of a character Tom plays. I hope this helps. I don't have issues building the character. My problem is naming them. I am just not good with names. Often I come up with a good name and I google it only to learn it belongs to someone famous, a singer, a author, or even a character already.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

I use numerology and astrology if I'm needing help fleshing a character out. It's good for generic good and bad habits, and from there I'm usually inspired. Sometimes I even fill out those online tests to discover your Myers-Briggs Personality Type, as my character of course. I think about the character's family, upbringing, culture, religion, etc. Even if none of it is mentioned in the novel, it's good to know, and usually a pretty good source of inspiration for the character. Occasionally I use bits from people I know, or have known, but I don't tend to like doing that. I find it invasive and sometimes I find it makes the character feel more like a caricature. I do however have a notebook of random pieces from stranger's lives. Conversations I overhear in the grocery store and such. Sometimes just one sentence makes a character pop into my head and I go, "Ooh! Interesting! What might your story be?"

Celtic Astrology: How the Mystical Power of the Druid Tree Signs Can Transform Your Life and Darkside Zodiac are two of my favorite books for fleshing characters out.

It's also helpful to have a friend (preferably another writer who "gets it") interview you as if you were your character. Sometimes you discover interesting things. I remember once my go-to writing pal asked me "do you believe in god?" and I had no idea, but once I'd thought about it, my character suddenly had a backstory and some interesting little quirks. Perhaps I simply have multiple personalities, but I really like pretending to be my character when I do online quizzes. If I'm a little nutty, well, at least it will make for some interesting characters!
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow | Evadne Snow | Felicity Astra Wildrose | Gwenna Moon | Lorelei Ondine | Octavia Eowyn Sol
    Pandora Willow Isolde | Petra Leocadia Silver | Sunniva Adar Rhiannon | Thisbe Wildrose

Caspian Wilder | Damian Sparrow | Evander Thorn | Everett Lyle Ward
    Ezra Balthasar | Gwydion Alaric Hart | Konrad Peregrine Llyr | Malachi Tristan Bjorn | Phineas Robin Blaise | Theodore Winter

You make some good points, redwoodfey. I've often wondered how much writers think about astrology when they develop characters. Does it really matter when their birthdays are?

I listen to conversations when I'm out and about too. Some people say the oddest things.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    I use numerology and astrology if I'm needing help fleshing a character out. It's good for generic good and bad habits, and from there I'm usually inspired. Sometimes I even fill out those online tests to discover your Myers-Briggs Personality Type, as my character of course. I think about the character's family, upbringing, culture, religion, etc. Even if none of it is mentioned in the novel, it's good to know, and usually a pretty good source of inspiration for the character. Occasionally I use bits from people I know, or have known, but I don't tend to like doing that. I find it invasive and sometimes I find it makes the character feel more like a caricature. I do however have a notebook of random pieces from stranger's lives. Conversations I overhear in the grocery store and such. Sometimes just one sentence makes a character pop into my head and I go, "Ooh! Interesting! What might your story be?"

Celtic Astrology: How the Mystical Power of the Druid Tree Signs Can Transform Your Life and Darkside Zodiac are two of my favorite books for fleshing characters out.

It's also helpful to have a friend (preferably another writer who "gets it") interview you as if you were your character. Sometimes you discover interesting things. I remember once my go-to writing pal asked me "do you believe in god?" and I had no idea, but once I'd thought about it, my character suddenly had a backstory and some interesting little quirks. Perhaps I simply have multiple personalities, but I really like pretending to be my character when I do online quizzes. If I'm a little nutty, well, at least it will make for some interesting characters!
    Ah, that's a great reminder. I use astrology and numerology too, but for some reason totally spaced on that for my newest project!

The interview thing is a very good one as well. And I totally agree with you on the caricature thing, that's why I'm starting to dislike that method myself.