View Poll Results: Pronounce Graham (live in UK yay or nay!)

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • gram (in UK)

4 3.81%
  • gray-um (in UK)

12 11.43%
  • gram (not in UK)

75 71.43%
  • gray-um (not in UK)

12 11.43%
  • other (please comment)

2 1.90%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Pronounce Graham!

Hello,

I've had a few comments on a previous post that people pronounce Graham as "gram". I'm in the UK and have never heard this pronunciation before, everyone I know says gray-am/um. I'm just curious as to the pronunciation used UK vs everywhere else! So, how do you say it and where are you from?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by taylors; July 30th, 2013 at 08:42 AM.

I think regardless of the prn you have in your head, it comes out sound gram. Gray um said quickly, sounds like gram. I love the name.

I agree with @boyandgirl - I have heard that it's gray-um in the UK, and I just can't get my mouth (or brain!) around that! It just sounds like an elaboration of "gram" to me--it's just sort of contracted here in America. When I try to say Gray-um it just comes out like GRAAAAAAA-m. I think it's just an America vs. the UK/Australia thing. If you live in the UK, though, and are wanting gray-um, I don't think it's really a problem. It seems like everyone there says it that way?
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Great name! I voted pronunciation as 'Gram'. I live in Northeast, USA.

Thanks! Interestingly boyandgirl however fast I say gray-um I can't get it to sound remotely like gram! Must be something to do with different accents. Very interesting!