Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Clara: Clara Barton

Genevieve: after the saint.

Pollyanna: from the book Pollyanna

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    Malala. I think Malala Yousafzai is a marvelous role model for girls and Malala is a pretty name. Molly would be a cute nickname.
    Zelda. Zelda Fitzgerald holds a lot of fascination for me.
    Minerva. Roman goddess of wisdom. Minnie or Mae are nice nicknames.
    Under construction...

Clara- I Thought Clara Barton was the coolest historical character growing up and read the book we had about her several times and did a report on her in highschool

Cecilia- One of my favorite saints growing up.

I always thought Joan had a lot of great & strong associations- The Saint, Didion, Jett, ect.

I can only think of one actual woman I'd want to name a child after (besides family): Gladys Aylward. She was a missionary to China in the 1940s, rescued/adopted over 100 children, and she's just all around amazing. Much as I want to like the idea of just Gladys as it is, especially with my Welsh roots, I just can't get behind it. I would probably opt for the Roman original: Claudia. I think Claudia's gorgeous.

I could get behind these literary namesakes, as well:

Lucy/Susan Pevensie (I'm not terribly fond of either name, but I love the idea of Lucy Susanna/Susanna Lucy for the Pevensie girls)
    Olivia/Viola/Emilia (Shakespearean heroines!)
    Gwendolyn/Cecily (ugh, they were so flighty and dumb, lol, but The Importance of Being Earnest is a great play)

And maybe Penelope. But it takes a lot for me to get behind a Greek mythology name. I do really love the name, though, and how devoted she was to Odysseus.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Elisabeth Clara Plum "Liesey"Judah Théophile GreyPearl Antônia SabineSchuyler Ezra Grey
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samuel Gaspard JohnPoppy Thea Elisabeth
    Elliot JoshuaVerity OpheliaRory MaximilianAmelia Winter
    Felicity EmmanuelleSeamus OscarLillian PasqualinaAlaric Joel

I'm writing a story--join me! here