Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Compassion Child is a great organization, and I think having Isabel as your sponsor child would only increase the meaning of the name for you! Plus, I bet Isabel would be thrilled to know her sponsor family has a little baby with the same name as her. It would make a great story to share with your Isabelle when she's old enough, especially if you still keep in contact with Isabel.

However, I don't know but I gather from your original post that you are not yet pregnant...so I say let the name continue to live on your list, and see--down the road--if you have a problem with it later when there is an actual baby girl to name. Apologies if I read this wrong, and you are actually pregnant with a girl!
    Current favorites: Olive, Louise/Louisa, Magdalene/Madeline, Phillipa, Talitha, Mallory, Blythe, Eliza, Mercy, Talia; Calvin, Charles, Gideon, Abram, Jude, Reuben, George, Reid, Clark, Holden.

@capturedcastle - you're right, no, I'm not a parent (not even close). I'm a fairly recent college grad, no SO in the picture, even, not to mention a baby. It probably won't be in the works for a few years still, but I'm sort of an impatient person and kind of wanted to know where I stood with Isabelle, haha. I'm starting to wonder if I'll just think of her when I think of the name, and not my own beautiful baby with her own personality, but we'll see.

@c@29 - that's true. I love the rest of my list, but honestly, none of them click like Isabelle does. If I didn't keep Isabelle, I'd probably keep all the other names on my list, too, but I'm not sure I'd have a top choice for a long time.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

The others have given great advice and I don't particularly have any but just want to share a sort-of-similar "story". A woman I know recently had a baby and named her Samantha. This woman used to work as a domestic and in the home she worked for, the household that brought her to Canada (she's originally from Malaysia), there was a little girl named Samantha. This woman named her daughter after the girl Samantha that she cared for. (this girl is in kindergarten now if I remember correctly) I'm not sure if this woman has stayed in touch with the family she worked for though.

So anyways: have you already sponsored/decided to sponsor Isabel? (or will you potentially be sponsoring someone else) I think it's all about your own comfort level. It would be pretty hard for anyone to judge you about this (how many people would really know?).

In most situations I would find it a bit odd, but I know you've loved Isabelle so much and for so long. Maybe it's just because I feel the same about my own favourite names, but I'd make almost any exception for a name this treasured.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Oliver, Darcy, Orlando

I see your dilemma. I have been sponsoring a child through Compassion International for 8 years, and I can't imagine naming my child the same name as her because she is a unique and special person in my life and her name comes up often enough that I only associate it with her. My only advice would have been to choose another child with a different name, but I know it's too late.
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate

Thanks, ladies! The responses seem to be almost evenly split, with a slight preference for keeping Isabelle on my list. @bonfireazalea - yes, I have sponsored her, I paid the first payment last night. Honestly, I had two other little ones I was trying to decide on, if I didn't go with Isabel, but it seemed ridiculous to avoid her just because I loved her name, especially when I felt most drawn to her. I don't know, we'll see. I should get the packet thingy with photos of her, and suggestions for letter-writing, and more info about the organization (although I'm not sure how much more I could know--I wrote a 27 page paper about them my senior year of college!).

I'm afraid in the past 24 hours, Isabelle has lost a good deal of her lustre for me, which makes me sad, but I guess time will tell how I truly feel about it. If I struck Isabelle from my list, I feel like there'd be a huge gaping hole there, I don't know what I would love if it's not Isabelle! I guess we'll see with time how I feel. Maybe in the meanwhile I can look for ways to make Isabelle exciting and fresh in the meanwhile, if I really do want to keep it.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here