Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lydia...Lydiah?

Lydia...Lydiah?

I normally hate unusual spellings for names, and I always find myself thinking "your kid is just going to have to spell their name to everyone for the rest of their life". Well it appears I've been hit by karma because I've recently fallen in love with the name Lydia. Unfortunately, for some unexplainable reason I do not like the way "Lydia" looks at all. I know a little girl who spells it Liddiah but I feel that's to far from the original so I've compromised on Lydiah.

Thoughts? Is it to far from the original? Too crazy? How do you feel about it with the "h" in general?
    Last edited by mrsmay2015; January 29th, 2017 at 10:18 AM.

I don't think Lydiah is too outlandish, but some people might assume it has a different pronunciation from Lydia. Some might think the 'iah' part is pronounced like the end of Mariah or Jeremiah.

Lydia is quite a well known name right now, so I definitely think this will run in to problems. Like naming a kid Jessika instead of Jessica. It's only one letter, but she'll still have to mention it whenever she's having someone write down her name.
    Currently crushing on:
    Athena ♡ Eden ♡ Lilou ♡ Daphne ♡ Riley

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmay2015 View Post
    I normally hate unusual spellings for names, and I always find myself thinking "you're kid is just going to have to spell their name to everyone for the rest of their life".
    I agree fully with the sentiments expressed above. Your kid will just become "Lydia with an H at the end," which will be a source of annoyance to her as she has to regularly repeat it throughout her life as well as having to put up with people spelling her name as Lydia. I strongly recommend against Lydiah. You should either find another name you like or put up with the spelling Lydia. Perhaps with time your aversion to Lydia will fade.
    Last edited by bellaczh; January 28th, 2017 at 12:07 PM.

Personally, I would assume it's pronounced differently, like Maria vs Mariah. If you do not like how Lydia looks, what about Lidia? I believe it's the Polish spelling.
    rosemary helena ۰ basil henry ۰ theda juniper
    nathaniel wilde ۰ magda honey ۰ arthur poet
    agnes thistle ۰ john sherwood ۰ constance darling
    james huckleberry ۰ lydia bambi ۰ archie foxglove
    frances lola ۰ kit barnaby ۰ alice romilly

?
    prunella finch ۰ demelza yvaine ۰ polly kestrel
    jack everest ۰ inigo fox ۰ endymion august