Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Leo as a nickname for Elliot?

The traditional long forms of Leo are off the table (ie Leonard, Leonardo, Leopold etc). So I thought that Elliot could be shortened to Leo. I know it's not the traditional nickname for Elliot, but I love Leo and like the idea of a longer name if he later chooses to go by a full name.

Wdyt? Thanks! M

It may not be straight-forward, but I have seen a lot stranger and I love both Elliot and Leo, so I'd say it's just fine!
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

I think it works fine! Elliot is my third favorite way to get to the nn Leo (after Leopold and Leander). Lio is right there, so I don't know why it would be a huge stretch. I think Elliot nn Leo makes much more sense than Elliot nn Eli--the only sound that Elliot and Eli share in common are the "L". And I think Eli's a fairly common nn for Elliot.

If you're not set on Elliot nn Leo, I think another great way to get Leo is a -ley ending name, followed by an "O" MN, like Hartley Owen, or Bailey Oscar (on my own list!), or Riley Oliver...
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Elisabeth Clara Plum "Liesey"Judah Théophile GreyPearl Antônia SabineSchuyler Ezra Grey
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samuel Gaspard JohnPoppy Thea Elisabeth
    Elliot JoshuaVerity OpheliaRory MaximilianAmelia Winter
    Felicity EmmanuelleSeamus OscarLillian PasqualinaAlaric Joel

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I am once again asking myself why? If you like Leo, then use it. It is a perfectly sound name on its own and doesn't need a longer form. I don't see the point of naming your child a name that will never be used.

Thanks everyone! I would normally agree that a longer name for Leo isn't necessary, but DH isn't sold on Leo so Elliot is sort of a compromise. ;-)