Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Mayflower

The Mayflower is the provincial flower here, in Nova Scotia.
    I think the name is definitely useable in Canada.
    However, I think it would be better in the middle spot.

Not a fan. Putting aside all the history, it doesn't sound very professional to me and I think that should be a consideration when naming a child.

Quote Originally Posted by tintri View Post
    It's a cute name and I honestly think it's fine. It could depend on what region you live in, too. If you live in a region that is highly-charged politically, then you might get some uncomfortable comments. Do you live in an area that tends to be largely politically correct? I would say not everyone is immediately going to associate the name Mayflower with the barbaric treatment of Native Americans. Obviously, some will.
    Agreed. I have considered Mayflower in the past. It's rumored that my grandmother's ancestors came to America from Europe on the Mayflower. I like the tie to my history, and I like the idea that my family was among some of the first Americans to live on what is now U.S. soil. Does that mean I wanted to exploit Native Americans? No, of course not. My grandfather was part Native American--I'm part Native American. When I think of the Mayflower, I think of the first American Thanksgiving, and hope, and Squanto. I think of new beginnings, and new opportunities, and religious freedom. It has a great image to me, I don't think I would have associated it with the treatment of Native Americans at all. Would I have used it as a FN? No, it is sort of cutesy, sort of like Primrose and Posy and Poet and Monet--which are all cool MNs, imo, and spice up a combo, but are too cutesy to be taken seriously as FN. I think if you have a connection to the Mayflower, though, or the Canadian flower, even, it might be an interesting middle. I obviously didn't connect to the negative associations to the name, but obviously, a lot of people did, so I would probably be quite hesitant to use it, myself, even with the family tie. I think something like Mary Fleur, or even May-Fleur, and you could use Mayflower as a nn? I think it has a similar vibe, but would be more usable, personally.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Thanks for everyone's feed back. I never thought about the history of the name. After reading, I think it is definitely unusable considering we are part native American.
    Charlotte - Louise - Violet - Francesca - Annabel - Grace - Claire - Vera - Winter 💕

Alice - Jane - Lily - Vivienne - Melrose 🎀

Henry - Laine - Theo - Finn - Ezra ❤️

I recently read "Her Daughter's Dream" by Francine Rivers and the main character names her daughter May Flower Dawn. I think it's usable, though the separation might be nice so she has the option of going by May if she prefers.