Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on this (made up?) name

Hey everyone.

So I was babysitting the other day and while watching this really cute kids' movie, I came across the name Mimzy. I may be the only one, but I think its so adorable and sweet!

What are your guys' thoughts? Also, as it seems to be made up or at least extremely uncommon, I can't find a thing on it. Can anyone think of or come up with some fuller versions?
    Last edited by redrobin; April 15th, 2017 at 04:51 PM.
    robin | INTJ

roselle doveva lyra | clarion soleil | astoria lilac | esther magnolia dawn
    elowen amaryllis | marion cassiopeia sonnet | indie wildflower
    jane odilia lavender | luna morgana | lilith magda

august leopold blue | reed olivander | henry etienne alder | alaric bastien
    lincoln sage | eleazar atlas laurent | wolfgang bramwell frost
    raphael devereaux | desmond fox | ezra wilder

I'm pretty sure it's to do with Alice in Wonderland. At last that's where I know it from (it's also the name of the internal cataloguing system in the London Science Museum).

I think Miriam would definitely be cute with the nn Mimsy. Most things beginning with M would probably also work - Margaret, Mary, Marigold etc.
    Hufflepuff. PhD Student. Cat Lover.
    List currently undergoing maintenance.

I've heard it as a name to call a grandmother on a TV show, but never as a name. It's a cute nickname, but I think it definitely needs a full name for it. The first name that I thought of was Miriam nn Mimzy. That would be the best fit. Mimi can be a nn for Wilhelmina, so I think you could use Mimzy for that, as well. Really, any name with an 'mi' in it could get you there...Emilia, Mila, Miranda, Mima, Michelle, Minerva, Mirabelle, etc. Even Kimberly could feasibly get your there as I know a Kimberly that goes by the nn Mimi.
    Chelsee ~ 28 ~ wife and dog mommy
    Expecting Baby Girl in January 2018

Felicity Noelle | Arden Tabitha | Ansley Snow| Greer Elaine | Delaney Claire | Adley Rose
    Carter John | Emerson Cade | Rowan Reese | Lachlan Walker | Oliver Sebastian | Dawson Everett

This definitely made me recall that movie The Last Mimzy (can't believe it came out 10 years ago!). The name did remind me of Mitzi, a diminutive of Maria.

@maerad, It's in Alice in Wonderland? Really? I guess I'll have to go back and reread it... Miriam would work wonderfully as a full name, thanks!

@chelsanne22, I love the idea of Mimzy as a nn for Whilhelmina, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

@saintdollface, That's actually the movie I'm referring to. I'm pretty sure I watched it when it first came out (10 years? Wow, that makes me feel only slightly older), but I was a kid then and so names wouldn't have had stuck with me as they do now. And Maria is a good idea, thanks for the thought.
    robin | INTJ

roselle doveva lyra | clarion soleil | astoria lilac | esther magnolia dawn
    elowen amaryllis | marion cassiopeia sonnet | indie wildflower
    jane odilia lavender | luna morgana | lilith magda

august leopold blue | reed olivander | henry etienne alder | alaric bastien
    lincoln sage | eleazar atlas laurent | wolfgang bramwell frost
    raphael devereaux | desmond fox | ezra wilder