Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ugly-Cute Girl Names

What names do you think are ugly-cute?

Names that make you go 'blah', until you imagine it on a little girl? Names that you think are too harsh/frilly/dull/lispy/etc sounding, but that you still have a secret soft spot for? Names that for whatever reason you think are just too darn ugly, but you can't help coming back to them?

I'll start;

Greta
    Mabel
    Angie
    Beryl
    Ursula
    Thelma
    Myrtle (bit of a guilty pleasure of mine)
    Olga
    Mavis
    Ingrid
    Hester (I love this name, but I know a lot of people don't)
    Phyllis
    Bernice
    Last edited by novaberry; June 27th, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
    Girls: Alice, Anna, Astrid, Beatrice, Clara, Elodie, Emily, Evelyn, Hannah, Hermione, Lorna, Phoebe, Sophie, Sylvia
    Boys: Andrew, Arthur, Elliot, Griffin, Hamish, Henry, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Robin, Rupert, Thomas, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Damaris, Digory, Emrys, Ganymede, Hester, Jessamine, Phineas, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx

lol, I've never really understood the "it's so ugly it's cute" whole idea. If it's ugly, I don't think it's cute, lol.

That being said, I love some names I think a lot of people (especially outside of Nameberry!) would think are ugly. Like:

Agnes
    Edith
    Meryl (I think I would swoon if I met a trio of sisters named Agnes, Edith, and Meryl! Especially with the French pronunciation of Agnes and Edith, I think they're fab)
    Olga (YES! I thought I was the only one who saw the appeal in this! I used to think it was hideous, but then I met a great Olga, this beautiful Russian American mom who adored her little girl, and I was like, "YES! That's why there are so many Russian Olgas!")
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Mathilda is this name for me. It doesn't really appeal to me on its own - it seems so old-fashioned and clunky - but I know that I'd adore it on a little girl.

I just recently met a little freckled face girl named Murphy- I would never imagine naming my daughter Murphy but on her it was so cute! Ruth nickname Ruthie, Dorothy, and Patsy are some of my guilty pleasures that I know are ugly but think would be adorable on little girls.
    Last edited by berry2; June 26th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Hilda. Hilda is ugly to me, but then one day I imagined a little preschooler named Hilda and just... <3 ! Now it is cute to me!