Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do you like the name Pauline?

Do you like the name Pauline?

I think it has a bit of a classy vintage feel to it, but others say it sounds like it belongs to their great-great-grandmothers.
    Thoughts on the name?

Thinking about naming my baby girl this, after a close friend of mine.
    Would consider Paulina, but I know a horrid one who ruined the name for me.

I like it. It's always sounded like a spunky, WWII-era British girl....Where do these images come from, lol?
    Obsessing over names since 1964

Hmm, I am afraid I agree--Pauline sounds like a grandma's name to me. Probably because the only Pauline I know is my cousin's grandmother, and she always seemed awful to me. I find Paulina quite appealing, and I used to know someone with Paulina Eden on her list--I always thought that was so lovely! If you love Pauline, though, it'd be quite unexpected, and I'm sure people would grow to love it. And Polly could be sweet as a nn, if you wanted one (honestly, I'm not terribly fond of the -olly names--Polly, Molly, even Holly, though I do think Holly is sweet--but Pauline nn Polly is pretty cute). I would just make sure to go with a more modern/in-style or even classic middle, to give her options if she can't stand Pauline. Like Pauline Violet or Pauline Claire or Pauline Isabelle.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I don't have a problem with grandma names but Pauline just isn't an attractive name in general in my opinion. I usually don't like feminizations in general and the -een ending sound sounds kind of bus driver-y if that makes sense.
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Please rate my namelist! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831814

I'm not a fan at all. It's not even grandma-y to me, it's more like permanently middle-aged woman, like Barbara and Janet - for me, anyways. I don't think it has that cute, vintage come-back factor.
    Juliet, Felicity, Elodie, Audrey, Veronica, Lydia, Iris, Elena
    Elias, Dominic, Bryce, Graham, Dean, Reid, Everett, Theo, Chase