Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emmaus

Emmaus

What do you think of Emmaus?

It's a Biblical place name pronounced em-may-us. Do you think it would consistently be pronounced wrong (em-mouse or something)?

I know it's unusual and probably sounds like a made up version of Emma, but I like the symbolism of it and think it's very pretty.

What would you think if you met a little girl named Emmaus?
    Top Names: Benedict Calvin & Noelle Geneva
    Olivia/Livy : Darah/Bethel : Eve/Verity
    Eli/Solomon : Luke/Zane: Levi/Phineas
    Due in January!

I would think her parents are very religious since it's a Biblical name. I am not a fan of Emma but Emmaus is cute.

It sounds like a boy name to me. Not sure why, exactly, since it's a place name. Maybe because the whole Biblical story about Emmaus is about guys talking.

I really like Emmaus in the biblical sense! It struck me as more masculine than feminine, but reading this, I can really see it on a girl. My only hang up is that there is an Emmaus , PA, too, which isn't as quaint and sweet as the Biblical one. Its not a bad place, but since I grew up not far from there, it strikes me as more a place than a name.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Emmaus looks like a masculine name to me, probably because it looks like a masculine version of Emma and has the -aus ending a lot of male names have. I do think it will get mispronounced a lot, similar to Klaus and Nicolaus.

There are so many great biblical people names that I'd probably try to look for something that was used on a person.

What about Amice or Annis?
    Last edited by scarletrune; June 13th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly