Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I love Dashiell! I agree with the others--I say DASH-uhl, but I've heard the more proper French pronunciation (and the way Dashiell Hammett said it) is duh-SHEEL. While I'm usually one for going with the proper pronunciation, I think it's just too much effort to enforce dah-SHEEL. Plus, I love the sound of Dash-uhl, and I think Dash is adorable! duh-SHEEL nn Dash doesn't make quite so much sense.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

dash-uhl/ule

The correct pronunciation is "dah-SHEEL" according to the man who should know (Dashiell Hamnett) but most people don't pronounce it correctly!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    I love Dashiell! I agree with the others--I say DASH-uhl, but I've heard the more proper French pronunciation (and the way Dashiell Hammett said it) is duh-SHEEL. While I'm usually one for going with the proper pronunciation, I think it's just too much effort to enforce dah-SHEEL. Plus, I love the sound of Dash-uhl, and I think Dash is adorable! duh-SHEEL nn Dash doesn't make quite so much sense.
    lol, that's interesting! I've never heard of that before.

Honestly, rather than sounding properly French, it sounds more like "made-up-American" like Shaquille. Like it should be spelled Da'Shealle

I'd imagine it would be akin to trying to enforce the "proper French pronunciation" of Michael if used in America.
    Top Names: Benedict Calvin & Noelle Geneva
    Olivia/Livy : Darah/Bethel : Eve/Verity
    Eli/Solomon : Luke/Zane: Levi/Phineas
    Due in January!

The first time I heard this name was a few months ago on a fresh newborn baby. at delivery, asking the dad what the name was he said "Dash-EE-elle". Huh??? Then mom yells "i've told you so many times, its dah-SHEEL!!!!" I thought she had made up the name for sure.
    - the littles-

Edmund James & Josephine Poppy