Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What's the difference?

Before joining the Berry community, I didn't realize how many aspects factor into a name: how it looks, it's sound, the flow, it's origin, it's spelling, strong personal/societal associations (celebrities and famous figures both positive and negative), popularity, cultural significance, etc., etc. (we can go on and on). It can all get a bit overwhelming.

But I was thinking about the SOUND of names lately. Harlow used to be a favorite of mine, and I've noticed that a lot of comments when talking about Harlow mention how it's too close/one letter away from the word harlot. Though I would no longer use Harlow (fell out of like with it awhile ago), it got me thinking...isn't Violet just one letter away from the word violent? Even more so with Killian/Cillian (I'm sure there's more, just can't think of them at the moment).

So, what's the difference? Is it because Violet has been an established name for longer and is used far more often? Or is it just a pure dislike for the name (Harlow) and it's proximity to harlot is just an observation?

This isn't an attack on anyone who has these opinions. I just like picking people's brains. So give me your thoughts!

piper | quinn | blair
    tatum | ivy | thea
    willa | shiloh | iris

+
    abram | heath | ronan
    hugo | wilder | ford | brooks
    griffin | luca | beck

Charlotte also rhymes with Harlot. There's even a song by very popular rock band which sings Charlotte the Harlot.

But yes, it's test of time. Harlow is trendy, and some people hate trendy for all the wrong reasons. Just ignore these kind of people.
    Seraphina Isolde Paige Cressida Melody Charlotte Cecily Despina Bridget Rosalyn Cvijeta Dorothea Millicent Gwenllian Beatrice Aurora Rosamund Matilda Nimue Sunniva Giselle Griselda Amoret Helena Anastasia Elaine Isabella Briseis Freya Blanche Paisley Flora Robin Magnus Percy Tristan Ansel Lysander Arthur Edmund Balthazar Dimitri Emil Amaury Erik Dylan Dorian Florian Gustav Harley Roland Ludwig Arlo Orpheus Amadeus Lucius Remy Thorin Hugo Edgar David Beowulf Wesley Roman Sylvan Maximilian Storm

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress View Post
    Charlotte also rhymes with Harlot. There's even a song by very popular rock band which sings Charlotte the Harlot.

But yes, it's test of time. Harlow is trendy, and some people hate trendy for all the wrong reasons. Just ignore these kind of people.
    I knew I was forgetting one!

piper | quinn | blair
    tatum | ivy | thea
    willa | shiloh | iris

+
    abram | heath | ronan
    hugo | wilder | ford | brooks
    griffin | luca | beck

Harlow just makes me think of Jean Harlow. The "harlot" thing would never have occured to me. And anyway, "harlot" is not a commonly used word anymore, so I don't think it's an issue. I feel the main reason Harlow is disliked by some is because it's a non-traditional, trendy name.

I've never thought of the harlot thing, or understood the Violet - Violent thing, though I see that comment often. It's all down to personal opinion imo. Some people associate sounds and connect them together in certain ways - everyone's minds work differently.

It's almost like associations with people and names - I've seen many comments saying that Sapphire is a "stripper" name, yet to me, it's a cute, underused gemstone name, because the only Sapphires I've encountered are little girls in a kindergarten class.

desirae alyssa ✿ stephanie abigail ✿ melissa jayde ✿ tiffany isabella ✿ lindsey olivia ✿ heather amelia ✿ shayla lily ✿ kelly christina
    aaron jacob ✿ michael james ✿ andrew lucas ✿ jake william ✿ chandler robert ✿ adam hunter ✿ matthew parker ✿ zachary daniel