• VAIR-ah

19 24.68%
  • VEER-ah

57 74.03%
  • Other (please explain below!)

1 1.30%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do you say Vera?

Options in the poll above. While we're at it, what are you're thoughts on the name? I'm really loving the sound of VARE-ah/VAIR-ah, but not so much VEER-ah (I'm not sure I like how Vera looks, either). I've never really thought that Vera was my thing, but I do love the VAIR-ah sound, and am sort of playing around with it, seeing if I find something that appeals. Vera as a MN, maybe, or Verity nn Vera...

Thanks, ladies!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I instinctively say veer-ah because of Vera Bradley but I prefer more so the Vair-ah pronunciation because I'm a Latinist and I think of veritas. So the "ver" in "very" sound. Beautiful name.

I automatically say VEER-a. If I knew it was a nickname for Verity, however, I'd probably say VEH-ra, closer to the pronunciation you like.

I say it Veer-ah. If you like the Vair-ah sound what about Farrah?

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names

Lol wow... At first I thought this was such an obvious question, then i started thinking about it!
    I say closer to 'veer-a' most of the time but do say it the other way too.
    If you like the shorter e sound I would still use it if you can know/accept that some people will draw out the first syllable, even if you don't.
    Just thinking of my mom (her accent is very confused), i KNOW she'd say it one way and be absolutely unable to change the way she said it. That sort of thing would annoy me since she is such a close relative and likely using the name often. If she had a more perceptive ear to pick up on the difference, it wouldn't bother me (assuming I did have only one preferred pronunciation, which I guess I don't for Vera!)