Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Explain Your Signature/Combinations

I often see people's signature/combinations and think "Wow, how did they come up with that?" So I would love to know the reason behind everyone's signature/combinations. For example, most of the names in my signature are from my family tree, I love researching about my family history particularly because I live in Australia and the way that people arrived here is just amazing (For instance, on my mothers side is total convict bombardment and on my father's side, I'm more royal than the one currently on the British Monarchy throne!)

I'll get the ball rolling!!

Aurora Joan: Aurora comes from my fascination of Greek Goddesses, Aurora is the goddess of the dawn and has always been my number 1 choice if I ever have a girl. Joan is my maternal grandmother/best friend all in the one person's name. She is my hero and I can not imagine my life without her in it!!

Edie Clara: Sticking with the maternal relatives, Edie was a nickname for Joan's mother, Edith. Edith's mother was Clara so you get the idea.

Norah Rosalind: Norah is actually after a holiday destination I use to go as a child (Norah Head). I took my husband here and he fell in love with the place. Rosalind was my mother's cousin, who fought so bravely with breast cancer. She was the most intelligent person I have ever/will ever meet.

Ivy Serephina: Ivy is after my mothers paternal great-aunt (still with me..), although my mother wasn't a fan of her I love her name and it's an added bonus that she's in my family tree. Serephina doesn't have any family connections that I'm aware of, it just flows nicely with Ivy.

Odette Aubree: Odette doesn't have any family connections as well, I just love the name. Aubree is after my husband's maternal grandfather (Aubrey), he was a professional boxer in the 40's & 50's in Australia called "Tony Mack" (google him!!)

Kinley Frances: Again, Kinley has no family connection I just really like it. Frances is a very old and according to my mother "overused" family name. My uncle's name is Francis (NN - Frank).

Bridie Nyx: Bridie (pronounced BRY-DEE) has always been one of my favourites, ever since my brother went to school with a girl called Brylie and they misread her name and called her Bridie . Nyx is after Stevie (MASSIVE FAN RIGHT HERE).

Rhett Nicolai: Rhett is my absolute number 1 choice if I ever have a boy. I've loved it since I first watched "Gone With the Wind". Nicolai is a variation of my mothers maiden name (Nicol), both from Greek origins.

Silas Peregrine: Silas is after my cousin Andrew, you maybe thinking "How the hell do you get Silas from Andrew??" His nickname has always been "Si", we aren't sure how he got it, but it has always stuck (So many people think his name is Simon because of this). Peregrine is after an ancestor by the name of Peregrine Clarke (google him, he's fascinating). I attribute my olive skin to him and my dark eyes.

Huxley Lennon: I love Huxley because of Aldous Huxley, needs no other explaination. Lennon is after John (again, MASSIVE FAN RIGHT HERE).

Cohen Obediah: Cohen, I must confess is after "The OC" character, Seth Cohen (my husband and I watch the boxset when we get bored). Obediah is after a ancestor named Obediah/Obadiah Bull, he was the father of a very wild woman (read her story here: http://www.convictrecords.com.au/con...izabeth/104020) and I just love his name.

Hamish Fletcher: Hamish is tribute to my maternal grandfather's Scottish heritage. His ancestors were from Banff in northern Scotland and I love Hamish as a name. Fletcher is such a dashing name but to be honest it is after Jim Carrey's character in "Liar, Liar".

Corbin Astley: I have no idea where Corbin came from, I just heard it one day and loved it. Astley is after an ancestor George Astley Cooper, who was a drover in the late 1800's and early 1900's in remote Western Australia. He was an extremely hard working man and I really admire that.

Jasper Adam: I've always had a soft spot for Jasper since I had a crush on one in high school (don't tell hubby, he'll never let me use it). Adam is after two people, my husbands paternal grandfather was Adam and he served in WW2. Adam is my favourite brothers name (I have 3 older brothers, but Adam is my favourite). He so creative, driven and passionate about his life, you can't help but love him.

Considering..
    Saskia Edelweiss: I've always thought about using the name Saskia, I love the way it sounds. Edelweiss is a beautiful flower that deserves more NB love. Not to mention my favourite song from "The Sound of Music".

Thora Hadley: Thora is after a place I recently visited, my mother's relatives live there and it is just magical. Hadley is just very cute.

Maverick Amos: My husband loves "Top Gun", and I love the name Amos.

Knox Augustus: I really love names that have "X" in them, and I really like Knox. Augustus was my paternal grandfather's middle name. A psychic/medium told me that he stands at my left side from dawn 'til dusk. She also said that I would name a child after him in someway (fingers crossed)
    Aurora Joan|Edie Clara|Norah Rosalind|Ivy Seraphina|Odette Deanna|Kinley Frances|Violet Nyx

Rhett Nicolai|Silas Peregrine|Huxley Matteo|Cohen Obediah|Fletcher Hamish|Knox Augustus|Jasper Adam

Considering..
    Freya Wren|Thea Hadley|Reuben Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by emilyjayne255 View Post
    (...on my father's side, I'm more royal than the one currently on the British Monarchy throne!)

As someone also into family history, I'd like to know where that idea came from! It was my understanding that to be considered British royalty today, you have to be descended from Sophia of Hanover, as per the Act of Settlement in 1701. Sorry to digress! I was just wondering.

Regarding all the names in my signature, nothing particularly special about them. The only one with even a little bit of meaning is Zara. She's a beloved character of mine. And I guess my own middle name means something. I chose it because it means "reborn" and there's many men in my family tree named Rene. I wanted something that kept my French roots.
    Ben
    ✈ airplanes and writing ✎

Ty Benjamin | Serena Estelle
    River Augustus | Soleil Veronique
    Leander Pierce | Zara Bee
    Sebastien Louis | Augusta Wren

Quote Originally Posted by pterodactyl View Post
    As someone also into family history, I'd like to know where that idea came from! It was my understanding that to be considered British royalty today, you have to be descended from Sophia of Hanover, as per the Act of Settlement in 1701. Sorry to digress! I was just wondering.

Regarding all the names in my signature, nothing particularly special about them. The only one with even a little bit of meaning is Zara. She's a beloved character of mine. And I guess my own middle name means something. I chose it because it means "reborn" and there's many men in my family tree named Rene. I wanted something that kept my French roots.

We've traced it back to the early 1000's and found that I'm a direct descendant to John Lackland (John, King of England). We've also traced back to French and Spanish aristocracy which is pretty surreal.
    Aurora Joan|Edie Clara|Norah Rosalind|Ivy Seraphina|Odette Deanna|Kinley Frances|Violet Nyx

Rhett Nicolai|Silas Peregrine|Huxley Matteo|Cohen Obediah|Fletcher Hamish|Knox Augustus|Jasper Adam

Considering..
    Freya Wren|Thea Hadley|Reuben Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by emilyjayne255 View Post
    We've traced it back to the early 1000's and found that I'm a direct descendant to John Lackland (John, King of England). We've also traced back to French and Spanish aristocracy which is pretty surreal.
    That is really cool, especially when you first find that royal link. However, it loses the 'cool' factor once you realize everyone of European ancestry is descended from royalty. I too am descended from King John I of England, through his son King Henry III, and then his daughter Princess Beatrice of England. Very surreal when I discovered it too, but not so much when I saw every single US President is descended from John I of England as well. And so are millions of other people.

Unfortunately though, to be a 'real' royal and have a shot at the throne, you need to prove Sophia of Hanover as an ancestor. Interestingly, I think only 5,000 people are proven and in line to the throne.

I can talk about family trees and genealogy forever, so I'll stop before this thread gets way too off topic!
    Ben
    ✈ airplanes and writing ✎

Ty Benjamin | Serena Estelle
    River Augustus | Soleil Veronique
    Leander Pierce | Zara Bee
    Sebastien Louis | Augusta Wren

I'm big into name meanings and also honor names.... so hearing the reason behind names is super fun for me. Most of my first names don't have nicknames, and then middle names are usually honor names or names that I like but I don't like their nns

* Lana Rosalie - Lana sounds very old hollywood classic. Hubby is also a huge superman fan. Rosalie is my MILs middle name, which she loves
    * Faline Francesca - I fell in love with Faline (Feline) when watching Bambi. Just so feminine and gorgeous. Plus I like cats lol. Francesca is after St. Francis (I am not religious, but my grandma always had a statue of St. Francis, who is the patron saint of the home and animals) and San Francisco (where I was born and raised). I am not italian, but I did study there, and I love the culture.
    * Maya Dawn - Maya after Maya Angelou. I always loved -ya names. Dawn is my MILs name and I think it is really pretty
    * Rhea Kathleen - another -"ya" name. I always liked Reina, but living somewhere with many Spanish speakers, I think it's a little much considering it literally means "Queen". Rhea has similar sound and has fun mythological meaning. Kathleen is my mother's name and my middle name.
    * Athena Celeste - Athena is by far the most awesome Goddess there is... and I think it sounds usable without being over the top. Celeste reminds me of stars in the sky. Very feminine but awesome at the same time
    * Florence Noelle - I love the name Flo. Classic, but not popular. I also studied in Florence Italy. I think Noelle just sounds pretty. I do like Noelle if baby was born near Christmas and Valentina if baby was born near Valentine's day.
    * Vero Helena - Vero is a name I heard in South America. Short for Veronica. I just thought it was so super cool. Helen was my grandmother's name, which I don't care for, but I love Helena
    * Amelia Marcheline- this one really has no real meaning besides that I think it sounds pretty. I have always loved french names.
    * Annika Felicity - Again, I just think this is gorgeous.
    * Gaia Antonia- Gaia, another "ya" name. I love that it literally means "Mother Earth".

* Knox Francesco - Knox is my maiden name. Francesco after St. Francis/San Francisco
    * Scott Thomas - Scott is just a classic name that seems strong and masculine to me. Also is my "godfather"'s name. Thomas is both my uncle and brother's name and goes way back in our family
    * Varro Gregory- I heard this name on a tv show, and I couldn't stop saying it . I just thought it was super cool. Gregory is my brother's name.
    * Theodore Laurence - Okay, yes, Little Women reference. I usually don't like nns, but I love Teddy and Theo. Laurence is my dad's name.
    * Matteo Lee - I've always liked the name Matteo, and hopefully it wouldn't be shortened to plain Matt. Lee is my hubby's middle name
    * Jesse Daniel - My name is Jessica, hubby's name is Daniel. A little far fetched, but I think it sounds really cool
    * Ansel Alexander - I spent many winters and summers in Yosemite. so Ansel would be after Ansel Adams (which would also be a tribute to my grandma as she adored Yosemite). Alexander is just a great all around name.
    * Rhett Hartley - Gone with the Wind reference. Hartley just seemed to go really well with that time period and name
    * Clark Vincent - Superman reference, but I also just think it is a strong, masculine, classic name.
    * Hugo Valentine - Again, everything I like in a boy name. Strong, no nns, masculine and classic. Valentine is a name I love, but probably would never use as a first
    Baby Morgan ETA April 4, 2016!

* Lana Rosalee 'Lana Lee'* Faline Francesca * Maya Dawn * Rhea Kathleen * Vero Helena * Annika Felicity * Gaia Antonia * Louisa Helene

???Behati * Zelda * Vale * Anouk * Athena * Soleil * Flo???

* Knox Alexander * Scott Thomas * Varro Gregory * Theodore Laurence * Matteo Lee * Jesse Daniel * Ansel Alexander * Rhett Hartley * Clark Vincent * River Thomas

??? Micah * Stellan * Nova * Bodhi???