Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Saoirse

I am in the same boat as you are. As a name nerd, I know how to spell and pronounce it correctly. However, I'm not sure the majority of people do.
    Ladies
    Marilyn Margaret Lucille
    Seraphine Lorelai Danielle

&
    Gentlemen
    Shane Benjamin Lee
    Sebastian Roger James

Mommy to David Theodore John "Teddy" ~ June 2016

Saoirse is on our list. DH is a Dubliner. The only trouble is we like the slight mispronunciation "Sor-sha." And for that reason it might have to come off the list.

DH wants to use the Irish spelling and thinks we could get away with it as an Irish-American couple. I think we could spell it phonetically since we aren't staying with the true Irish pronunciation.

If you are staying with the true Irish pronunciation "Seer-sha or "Saer-sha"...keep the Irish spelling. IMO.
    Possibles for our DD due in October...but we can't agree on which one/combo will fit. DH is from Dublin. I'm from L.A. We have an Aine (5) & a Patrick (2).

* Meredith * Eibhlin * Naimh * Claire * Brigid * Fionnuala *

The problem with the name isn't JUST that it's hard to pronounce --it's that there are lots of different ways to pronounce it. In Ireland it's Seer-sha OR Saer-sha....those are pretty different just there. Then you get into the actress who pronounces it SIR-sha and I've also heard it SOR-sha.

It's a mess. I have a colleague who puts the pronunciation of her name in her email signature and Facebook name. Do you want to condemn a child to that?
    Latest list:

Girl: Emilia, Navy
    Boy: Franklin, Gage

Mommy to one sweet little boy who I loved naming Lennox Andrew Michael

renrose Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by m3lissa View Post
    DH wants to use the Irish spelling and thinks we could get away with it as an Irish-American couple. I think we could spell it phonetically since we aren't staying with the true Irish pronunciation.
    You have an Aine O_o You used the correct spelling there, so why should Saoirse be any different. I'm sure people must pronounce Aine as 'anne' or 'annie' all the time.

It's a beautiful name, I love how it sounds, but I couldn't deal with the constant spelling and pronunciation mistakes, and wouldn't want to stick my daughter with that.