Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I think of the bible story too, but I like Delilah. She was cool, but I also like Jezebel and Vashti, and Lilith even though she of course isn't really in there. I like women who think for themselves and don't do things just to please a man.
    To the name, it's too frilly for me, but I do like it. It's very pretty. I think you need a special kind of girl to pull it off bough, so I'd have some other names just in case.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

Quote Originally Posted by millienow2011 View Post
    I know you said you don't care about the biblical connotations but that for me is what springs to mind. It is a name that carries a lot of history and for me negative connotations. For that reason I think I would take a very specific kind of girl to carry it off. Although, like you said that would be hard to know from birth.
    Agreed. That's really all I can think of. And for me, I can't really imagine a Delilah that can wear it well, that makes it a cool and spunky and pretty name, because the Bible story is literally all I think of. I know a Delilah--she's in her 80s, I think--who goes to my church, and she just doesn't seem like a Delilah to me.

It's one of those names I never suggest, because I just can't get past my religious hang-ups, but yes, I do think it's wise to have a back-up, just in case. I think I would have HATED being a Delilah--not just because of the religious ties, but because I'm a really shy person and I never could have dealt with being a Delilah. Regardless, I think it's good to have a back-up for any child, even if the name's as tame as Jacob or Anna.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I think Delilah is gorgeous. The Bible character used to bother me but now I don't care.

Delilah Lark is a bit L heavy

I always picture Delilah as having long, very dark hair and medium to dark skin. I also think of Delilah as a sultry, confident woman. I've only known one Delilah and she was a quiet, pale-skinned, blue-eyed blonde. Her name just seemed wrong on her. But I don't picture anything for Lila, if that's the nn she'll be going by. I think any look/personality works with Lila

Fox * Rohan * Jade * Shea * Eden * Blaise * Greer
    Lotus * Noor * Tallulah * Jasper * Linden * Arden

I think it is ok. I also think of the biblical association, but stronger in my mind is a mean teacher I had named Delilah. However, I would love to meet a sweet little Delilah. I think Iris is stunning!

I think Delilah does need a certain kind of girl to pull it off. I definitely picture a confident, fun-loving pretty girl. Plus, she may need some sass to deal with people's attitudes about the biblical connection (which doesn't bother me in the slightest; I see it only as a part of a story that reflects misogyny. It does reinforce the sultry, confident image though). However, I can imagine Lilah or Dilly on someone quieter. However, I have difficulty seeing a Delilah, Lilah or Dilly etc being a CEO, doctor or potician; I'm not sure it's a name for a serious girl.

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore