Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnylove View Post
    I would pronounce it the same as Violet. Same as Juliet/Juliette. English speakers will assume they are pronounced the same.
    This is what I was thinking.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I would absolutely use the vee-oh-let pronunciation for Violette.

I prefer Violette to Violet, but I think you should pick one spelling with one pronunciation and stick to it.
    Olivia Józefa: July 2013 . Expecting #2: July 2015

See, this bothers me (which is why I wouldn't go for Violette). I like the dainty, French appeal of Violette, but if I used a French name, I would want the legit French pronunciation, which I think would be hard to get (especially in the US). Plus, I like the sound of VIE-let much more than vee-oh-let. I think it would get lumped in with Violet, anyway, so the changed spelling would really only be a hassle. It's a plus that it'd be said correctly in school, but I'm not sure it would be worth it to try and enforce it everywhere else.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Thank you all for your opinions. I think we would stick with the English spelling and pronunciation in the end "Violet" and just let the French teachers at school pronounce it "Vee-oh-let" if they like!

Thanks again!