Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elijah vs. Joseph

Hey ladies! We've narrowed down our choices to Elijah and Joseph. I have questions about each.

Elijah- I love this name, it has no connection to our family except through our faith. We like the name Eli although I prefer Elijah. If we didn't go with Joseph, Elijah's name would be Elijah Joseph or Elijah Scott. Which do you prefer? Scott more directly honors the baby's grandfather.

Joseph- My only reservation about Joseph is the inevitable nickname Joe(y). Instead of Joe we were going to use Jay. Too much of a stretch? We adore Jay but think its too short as a formal given name. We can't use James, unfortunately. It would make things much easier! Joseph Scott? Yay or nay?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by peachpie; April 22nd, 2013 at 07:13 PM.

I would go with Elijah Joseph. I think that flows better than Elijah Scott. And Eli is a better nn than Joey.
    Gwendolyn Mae... Meredith Jane. ... Josephine Claire...Catherine Esme... Evelyn Grace ** Arlo Grant ... Drew Thomas ... Eli James ... Owen Vincent... Jay Theodore

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    I would go with Elijah Joseph. I think that flows better than Elijah Scott. And Eli is a better nn than Joey.
    We would avoid the Joey nickname with Jay.

I prefer Joseph. I've known a Joseph (and a Jonathan) who went by Jay for short, so it's completely plausible. Joseph Scott is handsome.

I like both Elijah and Joseph. My initial thought would be to go with Joseph to avoid Eli, which I've never really liked (the Biblical Elijah is great--the Biblical Eli isn't!), but then again, I like all the options with Joseph (except for, apparently, Jay!)--Joseph with no nn, Joe, Joey, Joss--I had a really good friend in high school named Joseph nn Joe, so I am quite fond of just Joe, personally, but I understand not everyone else is. So Elijah Scott gets my vote, but I really love Joseph Scott, too.

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Elisabeth Clara Plum "Liesey"Judah Théophile GreyPearl Antônia SabineSchuyler Ezra Grey
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samuel Gaspard JohnPoppy Thea Elisabeth
    Elliot JoshuaVerity OpheliaRory MaximilianAmelia Winter
    Felicity EmmanuelleSeamus OscarLillian PasqualinaAlaric Joel

I'm writing a story--join me! here