Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Too close to my name?

I love the nn Millie and the full name Millicent has grown on me. However, my name is Melissa. I already have 2 daughters so I think it might be odd to give a third (hypothetical) daughter a name so close to mine. What do you think?

Also, how else could I get to Millie? Thanks!

I do find Millicent a little overly close to Melissa, especially knowing the connection between Millicent and Melisande, which is even more similar.

Other ways to get to Millie (which is lovely, by the way):

Camilla
    Carmella (maybe a tiny bit of a stretch; Mellie's more intuitive, but I think it could work)
    Emily
    Ludmila

Good luck!

I know a Millie who's full name is Amelia. I didn't know her full name for a long time because everyone just called her Millie. I think Millie is adorable.

You've received some great suggestions already, but I wanted to add Milena. There's Mildred, but that might be too "old" for many tastes. I love the suggestion of Camilla/Camille. Did someone say Camelia?

I think the Mel/Mil beginnings more similar than anything, really. I wouldn't find Amelia nn Millie any less matchy than Millicent nn Millie. It's still Melissa and Millie. I have to say, though, I do prefer Amelia/Emilia nn Millie. I'm not ready for Millicent's revival yet.

My best friend was an Amelie nn Millie, I think that's lovely. A few other options:

Matilda "Millie"
    Romilly "Millie"
    Emmeline "Millie"

I like the suggestions of Camellia and Milena, too. With your girls, I like something along the lines of Amelia with Laurel, but I think something like Matilda fits better with Vita, but I think something like Romilly might blend the styles of Vita's and Laurel's names best. I think it just depends on what you're going for. Romilly, Camellia, Milena, and Emmeline are the ones unlisted on the SSA list, though, if that still matters to you (which I assume it does!).

I think Millie's adorable, btw.

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here