Threaded View

Erm, mostly meaning doesn't factor at all. I find myself attracted naturally to names with ties to my faith or something that really matters to me, but I don't choose it for its meaning, I choose it because I like the name. I love that Isabelle means "My God is a vow", but that's not the sole reason it's my top choice. If I hated Isabelle, I wouldn't use it. I love the meaning of Beatrice, but I hate the name, so I'd never use it. I am curious about the meaning when I add a name to my list, and I generally know the gist of what every name on my list means, but that's just for personal knowledge. I like that the meaning of names adds depth to it--I got a name "just because we liked it", and I want my children to have more meaningful names than that.

However, some meanings could be dealbreakers--even if Hayden wasn't trendy and popular, I wouldn't use it (even though I like it), because the meaning "heathen" bothers me a lot. I wouldn't want my child to have to live with that label, especially if he decided to embrace my faith (which I fully hope he will!). Same goes for Isadora. It's a pretty name, and I think the meaning is lovely for someone who believes in Isis, but for me, my daughter would be a gift from God, not Isis, so I wouldn't use it. Which is why Isabelle appeals to me so much more (plus, I just like Belle/Bella/Ella loads better than Dora/Dorie/Doro). It's usually religious names/names with religious meaning that are off-putting to me.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here