Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I agree, it would work just fine! I plan on using the nn Bella for Isabelle, which isn't really that different from Ariel nn Ella. I don't think you really need to go for Ariella or Arielle to make Ella more obvious, but I personally would, just because I like that they're more feminine and frilly. I think Ariella nn Ella would be pretty adorable, but if you like Ariel nn Ella more, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it. I don't think it's that hard to get to Ella from Ariel.

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

In my opinion Ella is a perfect nn for Ariel. Ariel is the kind of name when you and your child have a certain freedom of choosing a nickname. She might be nicknamed Ari, Ella or Elle. I wouldn't even doubt it.

I don't think so. I think it could work. Heck, I am still tempted to use Ella as a nn for Evangelina, so do what you want!

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

IF YOU LOVE IT, USE IT!

I definitely think it's too much of a stretch, they're both completely different names with no etymology connections, and the sounds aren't that close. I think it's way too much to much of a push.

Why does it matter? It's just a nickname. Some people take nicknames way too seriously.