Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jacoba?

Jacoba?

I have been thinking about this name since I started watching actress Cobie Smulders. What are your thoughts about jacoba?

I don't like it- I think Jacob is such a popular boys-only name that even with the -a ending, it still looks masculine.
    Last edited by namelover77; February 18th, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

I agree with @namelover77, it's way to popular as a boys name. I end up hearing something along the lines of "Jacob, uh, could you set the table?"
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

It's actually pronounced yah-KOH-bah. I think it's intriguing, but I think a lot of people would say it wrong. My first thought was Cobie Smulders, though--I can't really disassociate it from her. I like Josefa/Giuseppina more as feminine variations than Jacoba--and they have a bit of a similar feel/flow. I would love to meet a little Giuseppina!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I could deal with it if its more like Jacobi, i.e. I could deal with the hard J (though the ones I've heard have the yah sound) if its at least ja-KOE-bah, but JAKE-oh-buh would grate my nerves to bits in no time at all.

I like feminizations but Jacoba wouldn't crack my top ten, personally. And I do like some clunky ones. I've heard Jacobina and that's a bit softer but I'd still prefer Benjamina or Wilhelmina. I also like some feminizations that don't end in -a, Simone and Thomasin/Tamsin leap to mind.

Jacinta, Juanita, and Joaquina all seem a bit more melodious than Jacoba to me, without being as popular as Josephine/Josefina etc. but that could just be me.