Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I can answer this one from experience. I was born in the late 80s, and my parents bestowed upon me a dreaded, VERY outdated "Mom Name." I don't want to reveal my first name (it has no connection with my username), but think along the lines of a Barbara or Sue born in the late 80s. I knew three other people with my name, all middle-aged or older, and NEVER heard of a child with my name. My sisters all got cute names from our mom, but Dad picked mine. I knew from a very young age that my name was "different" than other kids' names. I remember being embarrassed by it as early as kindergarten. However, it has grown on me since, and I don't believe it had any serious, detrimental affect on my psyche. It made me embarrassed, and that was it. Nobody ever said a single negative word to me about my name. Ever. Not a peer, not a sibling, not a relative, no one. I still did fantastic in school--top of the class--made lots of friends, was seen as very funny and outgoing, fit right in on the soccer team, fairly well-rounded, etc. I have struggled with low self-esteem, but if my name played ANY role in that, it was minor. And the thing is, one of MY favorite names, since childhood, is now considered a dated "Mom Name" as well (Jamie!), and a part of me still wants to use it on a daughter. I tend to agree with your husband--or at least hope he is right--about names being so varied today that a "dated" 80s name will fit right in and cause little to no embarrassment. I see 80s/90s names as retro, in a cool way. I also think that you could teach your child to be proud of her name. My parents never really talked about my name, other than telling me that it was just a name my dad happened to like...and his other option was Kristy (oh how I wish I could have been a Kristy!). But if I ever do go with Jamie (unlikely, in light of all the other names I love), I will make her proud of her name from infancy by telling her how much Mommy has always loved the sound, since I was a young child. I think if you teach your child to love it, she will very likely love it. In short: Go for it.

P.S. As you can see from my signature, I'm a fan of the retro style.
    Last edited by alzora; January 10th, 2013 at 07:47 PM.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with a dated name, as long as it ages well, and won't hinder a child through his/her life (like something like Snotfacee would, lol). Rachel is on my top 5, I would use it in a heartbeat, and lots of people consider it dated. I would love to meet a Rachel. And if your choice never entered the top 50, I would think it's even less dated than Rachel is.

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I don't see anything wrong with a dated name.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves

80s names will make a comeback!

Speaking as someone who was given a name that was very, very popular (#2) a good 20 year before I was born, I would say it is really not that big of a deal. Yeah in middle school I sometimes wished that I had been named something more current, like Katie or Emily, but I'm pretty sure a middle school kid will find something to complain about no matter what
    Matilda, Louise, Zoe
    Gregory, Ezra, Simon