Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What do you think of Dean?

I started watching Supernatural recently, and Jensen Ackles has made me consider the name Dean in a whole new light. I realize Dean won't be everyone's cup of tea, but in general what do you think of the name? How do you think it would wear on a guy who doesn't slay monsters? I'm sort of just wanting to get a feel for how Dean is perceived, because it's a name I never see brought up on Nameberry. I'm in the US, if that sways opinions.

Thanks!

Also wanted to add: Dean is currently #284 in the US, with 1230 births in 2011. Anyone else surprised that it ranks that high?
    Last edited by southern.maple; October 4th, 2015 at 11:37 AM.

I'm not surprised at all. Dean seems very current and sturdy, always under the radar but very cool. I always loved it because of Gilmore Girls, but then I met a Dean who sort of made it not-so-appealing, but I still find it very sturdy and timeless and down-to-earth. I would love meeting a cute little Dean.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Elisabeth Clara Plum "Liesey"Judah Théophile GreyPearl Antônia SabineSchuyler Ezra Grey
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samuel Gaspard JohnPoppy Thea Elisabeth
    Elliot JoshuaVerity OpheliaRory MaximilianAmelia Winter
    Felicity EmmanuelleSeamus OscarLillian PasqualinaAlaric Joel

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I think Dean is a great name, it has a very cool vibe, especially with the James Dean connection
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

All of the connections for Dean are pretty awesome, in my opinion. Like people said- Gilmore Girls, James Dean, Supernatural. It's very masculine and sturdy, like ash said above. I'm a bit partial to it because of Jensen Ackles' character, but even without that, I think it's a handsome, solid name.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Girls: Seraphine, Kristabel, Magdalena, Shiloh, Opal, Jobie, Calla, Seeley, Noelle, Mara, Lucille

Boys: Robin, Gabriel, Mackenzie, Nash, Phillip, Raphael, Edmund, Abraham, Lewis, Pierce, Link

Current Crushes: Mackie and Devlin

I agree with you; I am surprised it ranks that high! If I heard the name, I would assume an older man initially, but I LOVE Dean on a baby! It is very charming, timeless, and recognizable. I think others may be beginning to think that it's time for a comeback for Dean, too (possibly why it is #284, I mean)