Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
    The only doubt I have is that it's a little anti-climatic compared to some of the other names on my list.
    This is one that we considered--and then rejected--due to what my husband calls its "bland" vibe. There's nothing *wrong* with Alexander, but it just feels somehow generic.

As far as nns go, Alex and Xan are the only ones I really like.
    *Mother to twins Charles and Samuel*

Alexander has been a favourite of mine and DH's too and we are considering it in the middle name position as it struck us as too popular for a first name. That said, in my humble opinion NOTHING trumps a name you both truly love - not popularity, not having a friend with the same name, not other people thinking it's weird/old-fashioned/too modern etc. Finding a name two people love and agree on is a minor miracle! :-)

I probably wouldn't shorten the name but if I did I'd choose Sacha or Lex.

I like Alexander. It's great because it's so versatile and classic. Besides, the nns are so versatile (and unique) that it makes up for the semi-blandness of Alexander (Alec, Sandy, Sasha, Al, Lex, Alexei (just heard this recently and I love it!), Andy, Xander, Skandar, Zane, Alejo...).

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Alexander is just an awesome name.
    That's why it's popular.
    Personally, I say go for a cool NN like Xander. I have even heard an Alexander nn Axel. I taught a Russian Alexander nn Sasha. Not so keen on the nn Lex- "Lex Luther" springs to my mind. I also know a young man named Alexander nn Alec.
    If you like the nn Alex then just use it. I mean really, does it matter if there is another Alex in his class? Sometimes having a popular name is like a ticket to being accepted by peers.
    If it makes your heart happy then use it.
    Phoebe Eliza Grace arrived after 2 Years of IVF

Exactly-- Alexander is like Sophia. An excellent, storied, regal, pleasant name. It's only 'crime it's that too many people caught on to it's glory and gave it to their sons. On a site like nameberry you can feel pressure to choose something not heard every day, which is really a very poor measure of the strength of the name.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael; Julian Victor
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Allaire * Emmanuelle * Honora * Lysandra * Marina * Rosamond * Serena * Sylvie * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lucian * Marius * Quentin * Rainier * Silvan

Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ / Altair _ Faraj _ Tariq