Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German names/lists

I've been particularly interested in my German ancestry lately, and I've been thinking about incorporating that into my list somehow. I'm looking for something a bit more German in feeling than the more mainstream options like Emilia, Charlotte, Sofie, Josefine, etc., but nothing that has ever been too dated/trendy here in the US (I'm looking at you, Bertha).

So far, I'm contemplating Johanna, Clara/Klara, Adelaide/Adelheid, and Annegret, but I feel like there's got to be a lot of really great options out there! Do you have any favorite German names? Or have you come across a really great German list?

Thanks, ladies!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I find a lot of German names intersting- my own German heritage playing a small role- but I've yet to find a really exciting name list. When I was searching for names for some of my German characters, some of these were suggested or stumbled upon:
    Kornelia
    Kordula
    Ottilie
    Luise
    Elsa
    Ida
    Auguste
    Käthe
    Dorothea (actually popular between 1890-1910)
    Alice
    Henriette
    Alwine
    Marianne
    Friederike
    Magdalene
    Elfriede
    Wilhelmine
    Frieda
    Marta

This website actually has an overview of popular names in Germany, and it's pretty interesting: http://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/jahrgang

Hope that helps!
    -Athena
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

As far as German names Klara is my absolute favourite, and I love love love Johanna & Adelheid.

Some of my other loves (some are Dutch as well as German):
    Elke, Marlies(e), Lotte, Elisabet, Katja, Margarethe, Aurelia, Freja, Lorelei (I'm not sure if Lorelei is used around Germany too much, but it definitely has its German roots)

This is a fantastic site to look for inspiration:
    http://legitbabenames.wordpress.com/german-names/
    Last edited by minisia; December 9th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks, ladies! So far I'm really loving Johanna and Clara/Klara, but I've discovered Adalind/Adelind/Adelinde on several sites I've been looking at, and I'm really loving that. Unfortunately, I'm trying to steer clear of "A" names because I don't really like their flow with the FN I'm trying to pair up with--Eva. I suppose Eva Adalind could work (as well as Eva Adelaide, Eva Anneliese, Eva Annika, etc.)--and while the -a A- thing doesn't usually bother me, it does with Eva, unfortunately. :/

I really like the idea of Eva Clara as a double name, though, Eva Clara something or other. Plus, Clara is a family name, so that makes it even more appealing... Hmm.

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina

Anyone else?