Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

All those "lyn" names.

After reading a few posts, I keep thinking about how popular names that end in "lyn" are. I am fond of a few myself. My DH and I were chatting and he suggested what may be my favorite 'Lyn' name - Carlin. The name means little champion, which I personally think is great, and DH is a big fan of George Carlin ( maybe most would not consider him a great role model, but both of us want our children to think for themselves, something Carlin definitely did). What do you think of the name, especially for a girl? Feel free to add your favorite "lyn' names as well.

Carlin is a good name, although I'd be inclined to prefer it on a boy. I'm sure that's change if I met a female one though

I'm partial to Kaylin and Caitlin myself
    ATLAS BRAM - Oct 2015

♣♣♣ http://babynamepondering.blogspot.com/ ♣♣♣

I'm not a fan of Carlin at all, sorry! Probably because I'm not a fan of George Carlin. At all.

I really love Caitlin, Gwendolyn, Jocelyn, and Madeleine. Gracelyn's a GP of mine, too, but I wouldn't use it.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Elisabeth Clara Plum "Liesey"Judah Théophile GreyPearl Antônia SabineSchuyler Ezra Grey
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samuel Gaspard JohnPoppy Thea Elisabeth
    Elliot JoshuaVerity OpheliaRory MaximilianAmelia Winter
    Felicity EmmanuelleSeamus OscarLillian PasqualinaAlaric Joel

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Carlin's not really my taste, but even though I wouldn't use it I think there are a lot of aspects of it that make it a really great, wearable name - it has sounds in common with many names that pretty frequently used right now (Carly, Carolyn, Caitlin) but Carlin itself isn't widely used, the meaning "little champion" is pretty awesome, and I like the George Carlin reference.

"Lyn" names lately make me think of that Ted trailer where they list off all of the "whie trash" lyn names (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7URSM_ShQQ), which isn't a great association, but I think Carlin is sort of removed from that, I guess because the "lyn" there seems like a part of the name rather than an added on component.

It's still too surname-y for my taste, but i don't think it would stand out that much these days... i do think it might be better on a boy, but who knows.

My favorite -lyn names are Jocelyn, Adelyn, and Caitlin.