Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I think it's nice when people use Christian names, Christian or otherwise. Kudos to you for choosing Evangeline over a butchering of Hayleigh!
    That being said, I'm personally a fan of Biblical names. Names of Indian goddesses? Not so much. But it's a matter of personal style. I'd champion for someone naming their daughter Ruth over Veda any day, but not because I find either offensive.
    Proud author of Kissimmee, Orlando, Mary, Adam, Mississippi, Micah, Georgette, Evelyn, Diane, Millicent, Maybeline, Prudence, Margo, Jade, Matthew, Susan, Maura, Mil, Floss, and so many many more

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine.10 View Post
    I think it's a little odd when non-Christians use names like Evangeline and Christian, other than that, I don't see any issue with Christian-linked names like Biblical names, for example.
    Ditto to these.

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

IF YOU LOVE IT, USE IT!

I am not offended in the least by non- Christians/Catholics/Jews using Bible (or Torah) names. In fact, I think it's great. I do think it's strange when I run across a little Jonah or Phoebe or Amos whose mom has never heard the history of those names before. But it's fun telling them about the name's connection to my faith! However, I would never dream of using a name clearly connected to another faith.

I'm not offended by atheists/agnostics using names like Christian, Emmanuel, Evangeline or any other Biblical name. It would confuse me a bit but I wouldn't get ticked off. Even the name Jesus is popular in the Hispanic community (albeit with a different pronunciation). What I would find insulting as a Catholic, is someone calling their child Messiah. I don't find that appropriate at all.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by spring13 View Post
    I do think people should be aware of cultural implications of the names they pick and shouldn't just rely on whatever they think sounds nice - this goes for ethnic as well as religious implications.
    This. 100%