Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you pronounce Xanthe?

I've heard quite a few different pronunciations and now I am a bit confused on how it's supposed to be pronounced. I am considering it for my little girl but I need to know how to pronounce it first. My husband and I have been pronouncing it zan-tha. Most of our family members and friends say zanth. And the rest say it zan-thee.

So how do you pronounce Xanthe?

PS: How does Xanthe Artemis sound to you?

Thanks!
    ~ Taylor

Wife to Craig
    Mommy to Milena Echo (6), Rosalind Iseult (4), Amabel Artemis & Felix Apollo (newborns)

I love it! I say it ZAN-thee. Most Greek names that end in a single "E" usually have the long "EE" sound (Persephone, Daphne, Phoebe, Xanthe, Ariadne, Penelope, etc.). Xanthe Artemis is intriguing. I have to say I like a lot of other mythology names above Artemis, personally, though.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I believe it's pronounced zan-tha, but I prefer zan-thee.

You & your husband are correct. It's pronounced zan-tha. It's beautiful! I hope you choose it!

I pronounce it ZAN-thee, for the same reasons ashthedreamer listed. As for Xanthe Artemis - I would consider a slightly more classic middle to go with the unusual first.