Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Russian nicknaming

I have Russian in-laws and I love the nicknames they use. Our baby Leonie is Leonka & sometimes Yona. My mil Irina is Ira pronounced Ear-uh or Irishka. My husband Maksim is Maka...which would be cute on a girl Maxine imo. -ishka and -anka are so cute and now I am trying to imagine what other names that would sound good tacked on the back of. Thoughts?

Aww, I love Russian nicknames.

I know a little Belarusian little girl whose name is Milana, but her mom calls her Milanka, so cute. I also love the Czech Eliska, which I'm assuming is already a diminutive form, but I really love it. I suppose an Elisa/Eliza/Elizabeth could get the nn Eliska, then... I also love the idea of Alexander/Michael (or its female variants, Alexandra/Alexandria/Alessandra and Michaela), nn Sasha/Misha, too. Oh, and I love Nastia as a nn for Anastasia, although it obviously wouldn't work in America.
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Kekoa Alexander Jack "Koa"Audrey Cosima JaneJack Gulliver EzraAdele Sofia Eloise
    Eleni Charlotte Jane "Leni"Samuel Gaspard JohnAurora Kaia ElisabethReef Benjamin Elias
    Flynn MessalaLillian CamelliaKainoa BenjaminAdelaide Mercy "Daisy"
    Claire AmaliaBailey AmiasEsme GeorginaCaleb Giovanni

I'm writing a story--join me! here

We have a Mischa in the family. It means Bear! I love it! We have an Isaac who is called Izzishka the beginning is soft like Isabella...I think it would be such a distinctive nn for an Isabella! Quite a few Sashas & Sandras that are Alexander/Alexandra. I am thinking about non Russian names with Russian nns.

Alice - Alishka or Alka
    Beatrice- my husband said this is Bee-etta..sadly it's spelled Beata
    Claudette- hmmm maybe something like Cloud-ka

It's something for me to keep in mind when naming!

I'm considering the name Veronica. When I posted in on the forum for feedback, someone suggested a nickname of Vonka, which I LOVE and never thought of using. Thanks to your post, now I know it's a Russian nickname. So cute!

I also am considering Veronica!
    I am conscious of picking names that are easy to pronounce & somwhat familiar to Russian people so it's high on my list!
    Vonka is adorable. Vera is Russian for faith. Vinka is what I would use as a nn...botantical & Russian sounding AND a character in a favorite book!