Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names to reconsider...Merritt

I met a delightful little girl (6 years old) about a month ago whose name was Merritt (a name that I would not normally consider; my style tends to be more classic w/ a vintage/retro twist- James, Fletcher, John, Helen, Audrey, Annie, Frances…). She was spunky, talkative, sweet, and polite; the type of personality I’d want my daughter to have if I’m ever blessed with a girl.

Ever since meeting her, I cannot get the name Merritt out of my mind. I think I’m going to add it to my favorites list. Maybe it’s just a “name crush” that will pass…if I ever get to name a girl, I imagine I’d fall back on my classic favorites, but I’m wondering if anybody else has experienced something like this?

Have you ever met a child who made you reconsider a name in a positive way (a name you once didn’t like/didn’t consider is made more likable)? If so, what was the name?

Mildred! I worked for a summer in a day care, and three-year-old Millie with long curly pigtails stole my heart. I would never use it myself, though.

Merritt is a cute name, but I prefer Barrett or Marin, because of the demerit association.

Love Merritt but can't use it. We used to vacation on Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach

While in college (about 6yrs ago) I worked at a daycare in a wealthy area. At the time I really disliked some of the names but the kids were so sweet. Now I see that these parents were ahead of the curve
    Ivy
    Adele
    Eloise
    Aurora
    Story
    Hadley
    Hayden
    Thor
    Grayton
    Gracen
    Barrett

Fox * Rohan * Jade * Shea * Eden * Blaise * Greer
    Lotus * Noor * Tallulah * Jasper * Linden * Arden

I babysit the absolutely most gorgeous, intelligent, and amazing little 19-month-old named Eve Marie -swoon- haha. Seriously though, she is such a joy to be around, I would babysit free of charge or, if desperate for some baby-time, pay her parents to go out, haha (though I suppose I wouldn't actually tell them that ).

Anyway, my grandma's middle names are Evelyn and Evangeline, both of which I love. My sister kind of has dibs on Evelyn as a first name for a girl if she ever has kids and with Evangeline I vacillate between thinking it's gorgeous and thinking it is overwrought. So when I met (perfect) little Eve, I realized I could use Eve to honor both grandmas and to sort of remember my favorite little one of all the kids I babysit. So, it has gone into my second favorite combo Matilda Eve

With Merritt... it kind of sounds like the name of a racehorse, but I can understand why you have new-found love for it!
    - Not Expecting, Just Collecting -
    Avalon | Beatrix | Cordelia | Eloise | Estella | Guinevere | Lucia | Matilda | Penelope | Sylvia
    August | Dorian | George | Hugo | Leopold | Lysander | Oberon | Quimby | Theodore | Truman

That happens to me quite often, actually, lol.

I met a Sylvia today who totally changed my mind on her name, and last summer, it was Anneliese and Anna-Rose. I'm sure there are others, but I just can't think of them now...
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here