Unusual Names: Hidden gems on your own Facebook page

As a certified UNN (ultimate name nerd), I of course seek out lists of interesting names wherever I go.  But it didn’t occur to me until recently that I was being served up a whole new menu of unusual names almost every other day right on my own computer screen that I’d never really noticed.

Like most of us, I get regular notices on my Facebook page alerting me to People You May Know, followed by an invitation to ‘See all’–not to mention all the frequent ‘X is now friends with’ updates.  Well, one day I did attempt to see all, scrolling through the names of the friends of my friends.  I didn’t make it all the way through (curses on those with 4,000+ friends!), but I did get far enough to come up with some amazing options.

One thing I hadn’t realized is how international my friends and their friends are— representating places as far flung as Switzerland, Hungary, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Greece, and China, which further broadened the spectrum of unusual names.

Here are some that I came up with before my eyes got too bleary to go on–and as far as I could ascertain, these are all real names of real people.

Girls

Timonius

Timory

Tullio

Woods

Yane

Ziv

This is one you definitely can try at home–just go through your social network contacts’ contacts and you might find some wonderful surprises.

* indicates required

comments

40 Responses to “Unusual Names: Hidden gems on your own Facebook page”

BasicSand Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 3:07 am

Le sigh. Being born in a certain time, it seems like every boy was named Michael and all girls were Jennifer.

GracePheiffer Says:

Midge
Monet
Nour
Payel

aimvonb Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 7:34 am

I have to say that Gardner is rather intriguing…possible alternative to Cooper, Carter, Porter etc.?

kashed22 Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 7:47 am

Most of my Facebook friends hover around the Gen X/Y line of being in their mid 20s to their mid 30s. There were a lot of x2 like Molly and Anthony, but for the sake of time I just included popular names that had 3 or more. Friends names that I found notable:

Men: Alvaro, Barker, Cameron, Dominic Eyal, Emanuel, Francesco, Garen (not an invented name, but a variant of an Armenian one), Iain, Marco, Omar, Punit, Rory, Shakir

My male friends names were much more repetitive than my female friends( which obviously comes as no surprise). For example, names repeated at least 3 times: Ben (x3), Daniel (5) David (x5), Matt (x4) Will (x3)

Women: Arwen, Olabunmi, Chandra, Deborah, Dora, Diana, Kyle, Laurel, Lena, Marcelle, Marguerite, Maritza, Maurin, Nadia, Natasha, Paige, Rose, Samia, Sela, Sharde, Tali.

The girls list was of course a bit more varied, here are names w/ 3 or more friends: Jennifer (x3 of course) Christine/Christina (x4) Rachael (x3) Sarah (x4) Michelle (x3)

Great blog idea! I always look at my friend’s friends lists, for the names of course!

Rain Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 9:20 am

Girls-
Elke, Vita, Ivy, Shennan, Philomena, Adria

Some unique and cool names!

mcope24 Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 9:49 am

Female:
Parrish
Anne-Flore
Avni
Blakely (actually a fairly popular name in this specific area)
Breane
Dori
Oxane
Siobhan

Male:
Conrad
Ike
Leif

Roseate Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 10:16 am

Afton and Jessamine are my only uniquely named friends.

pdxlibrarian Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 10:43 am

Keep in mind that some of these may be gaming accounts. Both my little sister and I have 2 accounts — one for our real selves and one for our games. She calls herself Kitten for her first name and I call myself Titania. That doesn’t mean that they aren’t cool name suggestions though. Also, when gaming on Facebook, it’s easy to make international friends since the games are free for everyone everywhere and easy to get to. Perhaps this explains why there are so many countries represented?

linda Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 11:07 am

pdxlibrarian: No, I’m pretty sure these don’t have anything to do with gaming, but are either actual friends or friends of friends.

Fawn Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 11:23 am

My friend Malerie uses her nick name Malaria on her face book page.
Side note, my husband really wanted to use Leeloo as a fifth element reference, and Inigo reminds me of “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you kill my father, prepare to die”. My cousin’s three sons are Talon Jayche, Xander Jay and Shade Brently (after her brother Brent)

ycw Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 11:27 am

Male: Abner Adrien Alexander Amaury Anton Arnauld Ashley Axel Brennen Buddy Clarence Claudio Colbey Dane Darius Deal Eli Elohim Emmanuel Eviatar Fenris Fran Francesco Gaetano Gamble Geoffrey Giovani Harel Isamu Issel Jeremiah Jesse Jesu Jorge Juan Julian Junaid Kale Kaleb Karthik Kirk Krish Lance Leon Marc Micah Myles Nathanael Nduka Nevin Nikolay Noah Odoi Omar Orlando Pablo Quinton Raylan Reginald Robb Ross Rudy Seth Shaughn Sherman Spenser Theo Thorin Tuan Vinny Wesley Ye Yuanhao Yuriy Zhe

Only missing U

Natalie Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hmm, I’ve never thought to look there! Interesting. There are some names on your friend suggestions that I absolutely love- spelled differently- such as Gardener and Lilou. Here are some of my friend suggestions that stuck out to me…
Girls:

Miguel
Mario
Eugene
Garin
Brooks
Remy

I don’t think my eyes could handle weeding through much more. Sorry it wasn’t much.

jpruitt76 Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’ve never looked at my friends list for that reason – interesting! My list (Amys and Kristens, etc) is far different than my father’s (Judys and Shirleys).

A few standouts on mine:
Christelle

Boys –
Rufus (goes by RG)
Saenen
Seth
Ivan
Tobin
Willoughby (goes by Wilby)

ycw Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Female: Ada Afrakomah Aima Aiyeesha Aj Alexa Alexandra Alina Alissa Allegra Allerlei Alveda Aniela AnneMarie Annemarie (2) Antoinette Arianne Arielle Ashtyn Astrid Aubrie Audi Audrea Austri Avital Betsy Bonnie Brianca Cara (2) Carissa Carlene Carlie Carmen (2) Celeste Charleen Charmaine Chawnee Chelsea/Chelsey Cheryle Chychy Clara Clarene Coral Corrine Cortnie Daena Dani Day Deana Deanna (2) Dolores Dorinda Dot Emanuela EmilyBeth Emmylou Eresi Eva (2) Faith Farrah Faye (2) Gargi Georgette GeorgiaAna Georgianna Gianna Glenda Hadley Hangyul Haz Hippolyta Hope Ilaisa Irene Iris Irma Issandra Jade Jaime/Jaimee/Jaimi Janna Jantje Jiatian Jie Juda June-Ellen Jyothi Kara Karla Karolin Karissa Kat Katianna Kelleigh Kelsey Kendyl Kerilynn Kerrianne Kerrie Kiley Koren Kourtney Krissy Kyleen Lacie LaKisha Lana Latasha Leigh-Anne Lene Lesley/Leslie Lessie Letha Leticia Lexi Lila Lina Lincy Lindy Lonna Lorene Lorraine Loyda Luana Lucia Lucy Lydia Lyss Mae Marcella Marcia Maria (2) Marion Marisha Marlo Marlyn Martha Meisha Melly Merritt Mikaila Misty Monike Moreen Muriel Myah Nanette Natalya Natasha Neera Nina-Marie Ning Nuance Obi Olga Pallavi Patience Penny Polly Rae Rebekah (2) Rinda Rivkah Rohit Rona Roshni Roxane Ruchi Rylee
Sana, Sanouri, Seren, Shan, Shana, Sharone, Shirah, Simone, Stacia, Summer Breeze, Sunny, Suyun, Suzette, Swapna, T’Leah, Tabitha, Tamra, Tara, Tess, Thomasina, Tiana, Tianna, Tingting, Tonia, Torri, Traci, Tulasi, Tulika, Valentine, Vera, Vik, Virginia, Wynette, Yea-Wen, Yelimar, Yvonne, Yuyu

ycw Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Stupid nameberry! You distracted me while my children smeared themselves with peanut butter. 🙂

ycw Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Some more I couldn’t figure out the gender on (no/ambiguous pictures):
Chun Jansen Jeeyun Ji Jin Megumi Ojonimi Pier Remy Ros Ruchi Sasa Solines Su Ying YunJa

samjaymc Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I quite like Lorca!

MargueriteJane Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love love love some of these names!

Girls:

Tim (x3)
Willem
Xander
Yorin

estelluxx Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Linda I think you were too dismissive of pdxlibrarians suggestion that some of the names could be sockpuppets. It’s a pretty common thing on facebook. About half of my friends have a sockpuppet account, and they pop up in my “friends of friends” list. Names like Nora, or Simon – people have various avatars. I don’t think it lessens the coolness of the names people are finding to suggest that a few might be sockpuppets or gamer names, if that’s what bugged you about it. I guess I just don’t get why that suggestion, very plausible and likely sometimes true, seemed to offend you.

linda Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Estelluxx: Sorry, didn’t mean to be dismissive–it’s just that I know that the names on my own friends’ list are real, then also spent a lot of time checking out the profiles of the FOFS, so I’m pretty sure the names in the blog aren’t avatars.

Macy Says:

Jordan
Michaela
Rylie
June

Masha Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I have a lot of international friends and thus a lot of interesting names on my Facebook friends list! Here are some that sound more wearable to American ears.

Boys:

Olan
Philippine
Reinou
Rinske
Samrina
Selen/Selin
Tesalia (my favorite of these!)

Isabelle Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

A few unusual names from my contacts
Girls:
Thayse (pronounced Ty-easy)
Layni
Dasha
Adyjah
Cassady
Domenique
Karson (yes this is a girl)
Kiri
Leandra
Marjorie

Boys :
Omar
Welles
Tadhg

iris1973 Says:

May 19th, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I have a hard time believing Dood is real. I have a lot of students on my FL, and many of them go by nicknames on FB, and are called by those nns by everyone on their page…for example, one boy is called “Meat” by everyone on his page. His name is Demetrius. I have no idea why they call him that, but it’s not his real name.

Flick Says:

May 20th, 2011 at 12:05 am

…..I *almost* wish I used facebook now. *Almost*.

Iris1973: I have a friend named Demetrius and we all called him Meach growing up, so Meat (de-MEAT-ree-uhs), kind of makes sense to me.

LyndsayJenness Says:

May 20th, 2011 at 12:37 am

🙁 I just made a list and it got erased. There were some really great ones! I’ll just tell you the winner (by far) of most yooneek spelling:

Auxaiviair.

Wowza, right? Sisters Shannell, Jonee, Cashmere, Sylvia and Yolanda. And brother George. Yes.

My friend’s dad’s name is Dood. I’m 95% certain that it’s his real name. He’s around 60. He’s from Oregon. Unusual names seem to be the standard in that area.

ycw Says:

May 20th, 2011 at 11:34 am

I think some of the misspellings we see are because people (especially kids) are trying to keep them from being searched or keep it private. I know some go by nicknames or misspellings.

Em Says:

May 20th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Wednesday? Was her surname ‘Addams’? lol

swyn613 Says:

May 20th, 2011 at 9:48 pm

This is fun! Here’s what I’ve got…I’ve worked at a university for ~8 years, so I have a lot of friends with international flair. I tried to limit names to ones that might sing nicely to English-speaking ears.

Girls:

Randall
Wilson

Kaila Says:

May 22nd, 2011 at 10:53 pm

From my FB:
Girls
Afeshia, Ambrosia, Ariammy, Azealia, Cielle, Fabienne, Genneice, Hila, Irana, Isaira, Jasstina, Jisette, Linese, Loida, Micole, Osyris, Rodianna, Sonithia, Soreen, Zann, Zhenya
Boys
Adwin, Anselmo, Antoniel, Armany, Artyom, Avram, Bogdan, Caolan, Evrotas, Gian, Kern, Kip, Leron, Lucius, Ludwig, Mert, Naveh, Sha, Taurus, Tekanand, Zev

Erin Says:

June 1st, 2011 at 10:19 am

I don’t have Facebook but my friends do, so I browsed three of their friends lists and found some unique names! 🙂

GIRLS:
Farrell, Crosby, Carlin, Chappell, Gates, Lansdell, Christian, Snow, Berry, Duncan, Arrington, Bardin, Garland, Barker, Lindley, Miller (x2), Stewart, Zarina, Ansley (x9!), Berkley, Callan (x3), Charmaine, Fraser, Rett, Kimberlin, Tallon

BOYS:
Wingate, Brooks, Keefer, Maxson, Kelley, Taber, Garrick, Zeb, Hampton, Colter, Parrish, Conley, Kanyon, Kohler, Tripp (x5)

jahara Says:

June 2nd, 2011 at 5:47 am

My name is Jahara (har as in har-ley) my name means “rare jewel” in arabic..

*person* Says:

June 14th, 2011 at 5:18 pm

My name means “clear” in french…

Elizabeth Says:

July 3rd, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Girls: Adisa, Adorna, Adrea, Aejin, Alethea, Anais, Arri, Bisi, Dasol, Dawna, Devika, Elidia, Ellis, Fabriana, Gissel, Harling, Ifeoma, Inna, Iriane, Jacobi, Kaya, Kejal, Kekenus, Liani, Maha, Manning, Megumi, Nelia, Pooja, Quyama, Saakshi, Saringi, Shriya, Sorcha, Tamar, Temi, Tomi, Xi, Yooni, Ysaura, Zabreen

Boys: Akinyele, Angus, Ayodele, Beno, Chutapatr, Ebenezer, Freeman, Garland, Giorgio, Kafele, Kirill, Kohiin, Leighton, Theophilus, Onyedi, Punit, Seungki, Sergio, Vijay, Vikas, Wonyong

cissyb Says:

August 13th, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I don’t have a Facebook. But I do agree that you can find unique names there. The thing is though, I have a problem with names that don’t match someone’s culture and it would just be like so… what names work and what names don’t?

Web Design California Says:

August 14th, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Web Design California…

Unusual Names: Hidden gems on your own Facebook page – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry…

Malaria Says:

Kalupe
Seanquavious
Faite
Tapan
Aarti
Amir
Aiah (short form of Isaiah)

This is my shortened list from my Facebook.

Malaria Says:

December 15th, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Yoshihiri is supposed to be Yoshihiro.

lexical Says:

June 24th, 2013 at 12:38 am

I’m in my mid-twenties, and most of the folks on my friends list are as well. Some of the ones I listed are unusual to me simply because they seem a bit more old-fashioned on teens/twenty-somethings (like Brenda, Pamela, etc). They stand out among all the Jessicas, Amys, Michaels, and Christophers.

Girls:
Kasia (kah-shuh)
Wendy
Sasha
Thuvi (too-vee)
Chantel
LaDawn
Frenchie (Birth name! She showed us all her drivers license, lol!)
Leticia (leh-tee-see-uh)
Lorraine
Angelique
Natasha
Loretta
Link
Rosa
Lluvia (you-vee-uh. Means “rain” in Spanish. I love this name!)
Savannah
Khadijah (kuh-dee-jhah)
Sonalee (so-nuh-lee)
Imani
Helen
Malia (Just like President Obama’s daughter!)
Bryce
Shelley
Blanca
Darlene (x2)
Arielle (are-ee-ell)

Boys:
Wyler
Calvin
Rutger (He has one brother, Emerson, and three sisters, Palmer, Dagmar, and Lydia. So cool!)
Akira
Julian
Yuki
Pratul
Orion
Lancelot (Yes, for real. I graduated college with him. It’s on his diploma.)
Shavoski (This is his first name.)
Nestor
Lowell
Caleb
Chad
Padraic (patrick)
Hector
Mahesh
Reese
Alfred
Leonte (leon-tay)
Martynas (We call him Martin.)
Dexter
Spencer
Clay
Albert
Pedro
Sebastian
Wesley
Elliot
Skylar

At first glance, I thought the guys’ names would be a lot less adventurous! I’m surprised by how many neat, more unique names I found 🙂

perdireinz Says:

Milena
Beatriz
Lisette
Manuela

Vinicius
Gareth
Freedom (this is not his birth name so I’m not sure if it counts)
Kian