Mother’s Day Names: Celebrating the latest celebrity moms!
Natalie Portman made headlines when she named her firstborn Aleph in 2011. Aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Recently she and husband Benjamin Millepied added a daughter to their family. Amalia is a slightly more conventional choice, but sticks with the A theme. With Amelia near the top of the popularity lists, cousin Amalia promises to inspire.
- Natalie Portman made headlines when she named her firstborn Aleph in 2011. Aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Recently she and husband Benjamin Millepied added a daughter to their family. Amalia is a slightly more conventional choice, but sticks with the A theme. With Amelia near the top of the popularity lists, cousin Amalia promises to inspire." >
- Kerry Washington has stuck with a winning strategy for naming her two children with husband Nnamdi Asomugha. New baby Caleb Kelechi joined big sister Isabelle Amarachi last October. Both first names are mainstream favorites, but the Scandal star and her NFL husband chose middles that honor his Nigerian heritage." >
- Olivia Wilde impressed us all when she and husband Jason Sudeikis named their son Otis Alexander. They did it again, with daughter Daisy Josephine’s name in October. The first names are vintage and nickname-proof, while the middles feel longer and slightly more traditional. Otis re-entered the US Top 1000 following his birth announcement; Daisy already ranks in the Top 200, but might also get a boost." >
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher named their daughter Wyatt Isabelle, we knew their son’s name would be equally unexpected. Sure enough, the couple went with Dimitri Portwood for their November 2016 new arrival. Ashton has shared that Mila suggested the name, but not explained why. Since Mila was born in Ukraine, it feels like a great heritage choice for the couple." >
- James on a daughter in 2014, Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds surprised us with their second daughter’s name, too. Instead of a borrowed-from-the-boys pick, the famous family opted for a traditional Spanish choice, Ines. A form of Agnes also spelled Inez, it was quite stylish in the US circa 1910. No word on why they made the choice, but Ines feels like one to watch." >
- Liv Tyler knows what it means to grow up with a trendsetting name, and now her children will, too. She welcomed firstborn Milo back in 2004. Now she and David Gardner are parents to son Sailor Gene, born in 2015, and July 2016 arrival Lula Rose. Vintage Lula fits in with Lucy and Louisa, an early twentieth century favorite all but forgotten until now." >
- Natalie and Benjamin, Eva Amurri and husband Kyle Martino stuck with their favorite initial for their children. Daughter Marlowe arrived in August 2014. The family added son Major in October 2016. Eva has talked about sticking with her instincts and choosing unusual names that feel right for her family. Major makes for a big name, but like many bold word names, it feels very current." >
- Alanis Morissette went with the short and meaningful Ever Imre for her son back in 2010. Now she and Mario Treadway have added a daughter to their family with an equally brief and bold name: Onyx Solace. The double word name fits nicely with big brother Ever. While gemstone names like Ruby and Pearl are familiar for girls, Onyx tends to lean masculine – at least for now." >
- Vanessa Lachey and husband Nick have travelled the US with their children’s names. Eldest son is Camden, followed by daughter Brooklyn. In December 2016, they added son Phoenix. While it sounds like the couple is borrowing from the map, that’s not quite the case – though Camden was inspired by an LA street and Brooklyn by New York. This last time, Vanessa just plain liked the fast-rising and meaning-rich name." >
- Audra McDonald’s firstborn was already a teenager when she welcomed her second. The Tony-winning actress named her elder daughter Zoe Madeline, a choice that has proved very stylish in recent years. Last October, she and husband Will Swenson added daughter Sally James to the mix. We know that James is a white hot middle name pick for girls. Is Sally the next Sadie?" >
- Zoe Saldana and Marco Perego added a third son to their family earlier this year. Zen joined brothers Cy Aridio and Bowie Ezio, twins born in 2014. Zoe and Marco have opted for modern names with roots, unexpected and seldom heard but still very wearable. All three choices could prove influential in the coming years. What we’d love to know: Zen’s middle name!" >
About the author
View all of 's articles
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
on May 9th, 2017 at 11:34 pm
I do really like Sally.
Also very curious about Zen’s middle name!
on May 10th, 2017 at 7:12 am
Onyx and Ines are my favourites!
on May 10th, 2017 at 7:53 am
It’s Ukraine, without any “the” preceding it.
Abby Sandel Said
on May 10th, 2017 at 8:14 am
Thanks, Peach. It’s fixed!
on May 10th, 2017 at 7:22 pm
I absolutely love Amalia, Daisy, Ines and Lula!
And for boys Dimitri 🙂
on May 11th, 2017 at 9:17 pm
I don’t think that is actually a picture of Alanis Morrisette.
on May 14th, 2017 at 8:19 am
I love Amalia and Caleb. I also like Nick Lacheys children’s names, Phoenix and Camden. but I prefer Brooklyn for a boy.
on May 12th, 2019 at 8:19 am
Blake’s daughter is named Inez not Ines. She already told the media to fix the spelling, please stop spreading the wrong one.
Onyx I much prefer on a boy. It actually debuted for boys in 2018.
leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.